5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

AWD Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by USMC1775
Nuff said!!! Where's that puke smiley??
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

lol, yeah, a full diff wouldnt fit under an unlifted mustang....

i thought about it at one time, back when i was a skyline *****, i was thinking about what the hell i could put an AWD RB26DETT into, and i was thinking of a fox, like that RB25DET fox, but with more *****

but then i came to my senses, i dunno, its a cool idea, but its not feasable with a good engine... (at the time i was thinking of an AWD Model A lol, i got that idea from an A with a cosworth 4 banger designed to look stock ( it didnt), and the entire car was a resto-mod, but looked almost completely stock, except it had billet steel wheels painted to look like wood, and pillows on the back seat to cover the 5 point harness, i thought that, but with an RB26 with a modified AWD setup (diff taken out of oil pan, and put onto the front, with an IFS setup, lol)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
troy81
2nd Gear Member

why not use a subaru or evo 4wd differential? its obviously possible with time and money but it wouldnt be streetable, at least not the way i would do it. i would have the transfer case sitting right next to the shifter, short *** gears and tons of HP. make it an 1/8 mile monster. good lil pipe dream, but noone you know will ever pull it off, maybe, if i get the money i should be in some 4 years ill do it and post on here
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Hippy

imo the same amout of money could be put twords makeing a powerfull reg mustang hook up
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

HOOSIER! 26x10 slicks + burnout = all the traction you would ever need!

awd mustang.... I taste vomit...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
j3rry
2nd Gear Member

if wanna build some kinda awd car pick a damn chevy or dodge not a mustang lol
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

yea, we sure wouldn't want to see anybody do anything different and more creative than your average fox on cobras or drag lights...

If I had the money to do it, I'd love to. I Think it would be ridiculous to have a 700hp turbo AWD fox to mess around with. Can you imagine the launch you'd be able to pull with all 4 tires hooking up? And don't forget, AWD burnouts and launches are badass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKLXmqi-Do
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

It would we cool to have a awd mustang but the thing would sit real high and it would be alot of fabrication. There would be no point in really doing it because you can get these car to hook up fine the way they are. I would like to take a V8 explorer drivetrain and drop it into a Ranger, that would be easier cause you would be starting out with something that is 4wd you would just be doing a engine and tranny swap, which would still be alot of work.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Jumanji42

I actually think I know how it could work. If you used the front drive assembly off a ranger, lift up the engine to make room and just fit a taller hood to compensate. You might have to sacrifice the back seat but you could probably fit the transfer case towards the back. And even if you have to lift it a little bit it's literally just harder springs at about stock hight and you'll have room. Add in wheel spacers and some 25x10ish rubbers, a nice widebody and some racing seats, that thing will shred dirt roads and drag strips on the daily and if you're like me (only doing street legal mods) all of that should be really doable.

I recently spotted a 1993 gt with 115k miles on it for only 2 grand. I have yet to stop and look at it but if it's in good enough condition that might be mine at which point everything I just described is going to get done one way or another.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

I would definitely say it would have to be a japanese transfer case and it would have to sit a bit higher then normal at a minimum to work not to mention a different tail shaft and the front diff with the other fun things like cv shafts and a whole new front end

Quick Reply: AWD Mustang?