5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Possible new stang - your opinion needed!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Default Possible new stang - your opinion needed!

I found a car around here that I can score for $4,000 (he's asking 4,500 but you know how that is). It's a white 1995 Mustang Cobra as shown with all the details in the link: http://www.mustangclassifieds.com/in...ge=out&id=3651

Now the question is - should I buy this and sell my fox (my fox needs a LOT of work compared to this car, but I've done alot to make it better as well)? Obviously I have quite a few cars, so that's another thing. I don't want two Mustangs really, but that may change for all I know. I figured with this Cobra I could take my 351 roller block, tear it apart, and then make a 408 out of it with the funds I get from my fox. Throw on that "lip spoiler" to replace the factory one, and give it a nice cowl hood to top things off with a little window tint to finalize it. I will worry about the paint matching the engine bay later, as the paint on this car looks very good from the pictures.

The guy sounds like a real nice person, but I am really up in the air with this because I have yet to drive it and I am thinking it's going to be a whole lot different "feeling" than the fox, which might not be a good thing for me. Ultimately this comes down to my decision, but what would you guys do if you were in this situation? It looks like a great car to build up, and it's the only other Cobra I've seen in my area from the 94-95 generation.

I'm curious to see what you guys have to say about this.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

looks pretty beat up to me... I'd have a hard time paying 4k for that pile considering I spent that on my car, and it was unmolested, completely stock... and looked MUCH better
Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

it may look good under the hood, except for the p/s pump neck. looks like somethings all over it or whatever happened to it. but im sure theres a reason he has all new panels on it. id run a carfax on it and check for wrecks. id almost put money on it that its been wrecked or something. you dont just replace everything on the front end for no reason. id be wary of it. if it were me, id let him keep it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

If it's all there, $4k not too bad...maybe $3.5k, good luck!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grn N Gry 5OH
it may look good under the hood, except for the p/s pump neck. looks like somethings all over it or whatever happened to it. but im sure theres a reason he has all new panels on it. id run a carfax on it and check for wrecks. id almost put money on it that its been wrecked or something. you dont just replace everything on the front end for no reason. id be wary of it. if it were me, id let him keep it.
I was going to carfax it because of the new panels. He said the title is also clean and clear, as I won't touch it if it isn't. This doesn't mean it wasn't wrecked, but it reduces the chances unless he didn't claim it and plans on being dishonest about it.

Having a wrecked car doesn't bother me really, but it does depend on what was hurt in the process. Bodywork and such doesn't scare me, but when you start getting into bent/twisted frames is when I can't mess with it as that kind of thing is almost always permanent.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
95 madness
1st Gear Member

I agree it looks like it has been in a accident but I think the decission is yours wrecked or not is it something your wanting thats the biggy to me. Like Adder says a little rough but hey 4500 asking price for a decent running cobra not bad but the price sounds a little to good to be true and we all know that line. It looks like you have enough cars and the knowledge to make a good decission either way good luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Do you even know that its an actual cobra? You know how easy it is to make those cars appear to be cobras? I wouldn't give 4 for it.

You have got to remember, he is selling it for a reason. He will make it sound great to you. He'll likely never see you again if you buy it. Not all people are like that but you have to watch out.

If it has a rebuilt title that will mean you won't get near as much as you want out of it when you go to trade it in or re sale it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:22 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

any way you could take it to a shop and get the thing looked over? cause they could really help you figure that out.

If he agrees to this go to the shop before hand and tell them what your bringing in and see if they can look for damaga from a crash
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudvayne1
Do you even know that its an actual cobra? You know how easy it is to make those cars appear to be cobras? I wouldn't give 4 for it.

You have got to remember, he is selling it for a reason. He will make it sound great to you. He'll likely never see you again if you buy it. Not all people are like that but you have to watch out.

If it has a rebuilt title that will mean you won't get near as much as you want out of it when you go to trade it in or re sale it.
He said the title checks out on it (and I will definitely validate this in more ways than one if I choose to lay down any kind of money) - I'm not doing anything until I KNOW what is and what isn't with this car. I've got plenty of experience dealing/buying/selling/trading cars, so I know what to look for and the car will always speak louder than what will physically come out of his mouth to me, regardless of what he says. I think my primary concern was really just the differences between my fox and this 95 Cobra. I've never driven one before or know anything about the problems they experienced for these years, which is partially why I am asking about it if it's even worth the changeup.

I am not deadset on buying this, and I don't "need" to have it for obvious reasons. I was just going to consider trying something different, and really what it came down to was "If you had a fox, would you do this assuming all that has been stated IS true and the vehicle is clear of any major mechanical defects". As I mentioned, I've never driven one of these so I have no clue how different they are. If those seats are anything like the 03' GT's I will probably say **** it though, because I couldn't stay in the seat of one of those. I need to look at the shifter location as well because I'm sure it's probably tucked way the hell in there just like that 03 I drove (which I think is a really shoddy place to put it by far). We will see, but I am in no hurry.. just looking to see what all of you think, and I'm definitely taking it into consideration along with the concerns you guys have drawn that I've already thought about for obvious reasons.

--- KWEB I've got that covered also. I am not worried though because this initial visit will be to see who I'm dealing with, and not to exchange money. I'm going to keep this thread updated though as to what I choose to do.

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 04-21-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i'd say to shoot for 3k if you can. it doesnt look BAD but, not diggin the different color fenders and hood....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible new stang - your opinion needed!