5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 Lower intake install/removal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
azazell64

Default 5.0 Lower intake install/removal question

Hi guys I know this seems like a really stupid question, which it is, but hopefully somebody can help me. I recently bought a new upper and lower intake for my car and have got everything off the lower intake thus far except the heater core feed/return pipe. All the instructions say are to remove this, does the bottom threaded portion of this thread intake the lower intake for removal or up into the black heater core pipe? Any input you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also I have posted on another forum as well and they told me to just remove the heater core lines from the firewall which doesn't help me as I need to transfer this to the new lower at some point or another anyway.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

You don't need to remove those line by the firewall.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 AM
azazell64

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
You don't need to remove those line by the firewall.
Yes, I know this, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the pipe out of the lower intake at the front of the engine, kind of behind the distributor. There is the long pipe running the length of the engine then goes to a big fitting then into another fitting and into the lower intake. Thanks for the response though.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 AM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

with a large cresent wrench
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
azazell64

Originally Posted by xxxmustangtxhc
with a large cresent wrench
Ha, thanks, what I need to know is if it threads up into the heater core pipe for removal or down into the lower intake this is the question.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

It's in the lower intake. You have two things holding the heater core tubing in place. By injector #3 you have a intake bolt that'll have a nut holding the tubing down and in the front you'll have threaded tubing that goes down into the intake. You'll need either a 15/16 wrench or a 1" I believe. It also wouldn't hurt to use thread sealant for installation and just for extra precaution I use silicone around the outside, on top. Good luck

Last edited by cch; 06-23-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
azazell64

Originally Posted by cch
It's in the lower intake. You have two things holding the heater core tubing in place. By injector #3 you have a intake bolt that'll have a nut holding the tubing down and in the front you'll have threaded tubing that goes down into the intake. You'll need either a 15/16 wrench or a 1" I believe. Good luck.
So are there no threads in the heater tube assembly itself, only in the lower intake manifold? I know the lower has threads in it but then the heater tube should not have any threads, correct? We're getting warmer here.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yes, there are only threads in the lower intake. Here, it's not the greatest picture but it's something quick for ya.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
azazell64

Originally Posted by cch
Yes, there are only threads in the lower intake. Here, it's not the greatest picture but it's something quick for ya.
Perfect, yeah I wouldn't have thought that both sides (lower intake manifold and heater tube assembly) were threaded but it was giving me a fair amount of grief last night, obviously I just didn't try hard enough, thanks a lot for your input this was getting very frustrating.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:21 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

This should help.

Last edited by ALMOST STOCK; 06-23-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Lower intake install/removal question