5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How much power: now and with my intended mods?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Mustang_Matt101

Default How much power: now and with my intended mods?

hey,

i;ve had my stang for a month or so now i guess. Its treating me good and i can keep up with/beat almost anything that i run with on the street.(industrail park, late at night - with no predistrains or traffic, if your gonna street race do it there.)

Anyways, im wondering how much power im making now and how muhc i can expect with my planned mods. Ultimate goal is 350 street friendly wheel hp and 10.5 to 11.50 in the quarter, is it possiable?/what else am i going to need to do.

1990 Mustang LX

What it has now:

Stock block, bored to 306, rebuilt with forgies(stock compression?)
Bcam
Stock heads, ported and polished
BBK shorty headers
Full aftermarket exhaust, but it does have cats.
BBK underdrive pulleys
Stock intake manifold and airbox. just a K&N filter.
8MM wires
Timeing is around 14 degree according to previous owner (I will check that)
Always run 91 octane
high flow pump(190lph i think)

What i plan on:

for this summer:
edlebroke preformer RPM II upper and lower intake manifold
Cold air intake
4.10 or 3.73's ( i know theres no hp gain)
Ditching the cats( is there signiffiangtly more power to be had if i do?)

Over the winter:
Turbo or supercharger about 6-7 pounds of boost. This is not written in stone, but i am serisouly considering it.
Will injectors and a fmu be enough of a fuel system upgrage for this? or am i going to have to rom/piggy pack/ or standalone tune?I have some experience rom tuning. not an expect by any means though.

So i thinking im making about 240-260 at the wheels now?

I think with the intakemaifold and cold air it will wake up, given the rest of the motor should be up to more than the stock intake can flow. about 270-280 wheel hp?

And i think the supercharger will get me to my 350 wheel hp goal?

Anything im missing suporting mods ect? And am in the ball park with my power estimates?As of now, the car does kill alot more than i was expecting. defantly faster than my 240sx was with 8 pounds of boost.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

350 is easy without a supercharger...

Throw it on a dyno and find out! There are so many variables that make it impossible to guestimate what your car has. For example we have no idea the extent of the porting on those heads, or if it's tuned, or if you have codes causing performance loss, etc.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you have basically a stock mustang right now with a few bolt ons, saying you have pretty much run with anything on the street only tells me you haven't really run anything respectable, because if you ran against any c-5 / c-6 vettes or ls-1 powered rides , it'd be a different story, .....to up your power plan a decent h/c/i and throw some boost on top of that and 8-10 lbs of boost will easily put you close to 400 rwhp
Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Mustang_Matt101

i have ran with other mustangs, a siliva with bolt ons, a few modded hondas/acuras, and a wrx- your right, nothing super impressive, but thoes cars are defantly respectable.

i do not know if the car has been tuned. i will check for codes.

am i atleast on the right track that the motor should wake up with the intake maifold? i wanna know its going to be a signiffigant inscrease because its expensive lol.

and are BBK shortys not decent?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You'd probably pick up maybe 10 horses with the intake, but the real choke point is the e7 heads.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

my favorite example:
lucky dyno'd 461 with typhoon intake and a vortech supercharger.

bolt on some suspension, gears, sticky tires and you've got yourself a mini street monster for the slower cars.

with current mods you probably have 200-220rwhp. if you dont plan on replacing your anchors (e7's) then bolt on a supercharger. otherwise you're throwing your money away on other stuff.

mods worth while:
boost or juice
heads
gears
suspension

anything else(cai, injectors, intake, cam) is a waste unless used in conjuntion with the mention above and they have to be matched together to have a sucessful build.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 07-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Mustang_Matt101

alright, i leaning towards a super charger....

These might be questions for a forced induction section but..

will the stock injectors be up for the task at about 5-6 psi?
Do i need a piggy back system for low boost?

Or..

i am safe to retard the timeing and say the fuel system is going to be able to handel the boost?

im pretty dissapointed if im only making 220 horsepower lol. i though they were 225 at the wheels stock.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

^^^ 225 to the crank stock, 15-20% less at the wheels due to drivetrain loss
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 AM
mikes_fox

i jus bought a paxton novi 2000 with stock pulley which is about 6 or 7 lbs for my 5.0 and i called paxton to see wat they reccommended for injector size. they told me 42lb so i think u would prob starve it for fuel with stock injectors
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Matt101
alright, i leaning towards a super charger....

These might be questions for a forced induction section but..

will the stock injectors be up for the task at about 5-6 psi?
Do i need a piggy back system for low boost?

Or..

i am safe to retard the timeing and say the fuel system is going to be able to handel the boost?

im pretty dissapointed if im only making 220 horsepower lol. i though they were 225 at the wheels stock.

the stock injectors are too small for a n/a h/c/i combo, there is no way they can handle boost. you will need a way to tune it. timing will need to be pulled and fuel will need to be added. under boost you need to run a richer afr then you do when no in boost. if your asking questions like this, i would avoid boost for a while, start with building the motor, gears and suspension and then think about boost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much power: now and with my intended mods?