5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

kind of stuck between these 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 PM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation kind of stuck between these 2

alright so im stuck between wanting to buy an srt-4 or a 95 mustang gt

i been looking around on craigslist and autotrader and found a black 95 gt with 95k miles for $3900. the car is all stock with the only thing wrong being the air conditioner went off. the other car is 05 red SRT-4 with 29k miles for $14k ad says the car dynoed at 351whp and 343trq @ 18psi on apg 50 trim turbo with all supporting mods. now i hear these srt-4's are beasts in stock form and that these big turbo ones are insane and reliable. so im kind of torn between the two considering if i get the srt-4 i will be having car payments, and if i get the 5.0 i wont be. so i'm here asking if the 5.0 would be a better overall car to mod and maintain the DD aspect (track maybe twice a month). and if the 95k miles is way too much to even consider modding. sorry for the long read and hope i don't make anyone mad with noobish questions.

EDIT: here are the links to both cars
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1233625319.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/1264324366.html
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, I would say the Mustang. No matter how bad *** the SRT-4 it's still a Neon.. Also as u said the SRT-4 would have payments and the mustang would not which is a hug + in my book. Now if u paid 4k for the mustang and put 10k into it to = the 14k the SRT-4 costs that SRT-4 would never stand a chance. SRT-4 is heavily modded which means something will break. 95k miles on a mustang is nothing.. Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

i would go with the 5.0. since you wont have a car payment, you could be saving that money, and buy a nice turbo, or supercharger kit, or even spray. that srt4 has a lot of mods, and even though it only has 20+ thousand miles on it, i bet they are hard a$$ miles. the 95k on the 5.0 isnt to bad. these motors were built to last but i would be sure it dont leak or burn oil, check the plugs, check antifreeze, check for oil spots under the car ect. most importantly you have to remember that the front wheels were ment to come off the ground, not spin. lol. jj. fixing the ac prob isnt a big deal. the 5.0 being stock is a great buying point, as long as its been stock the hole time. you never know what could have been takin off that car in order to get it ready to sell. does the 5.0 have any rust at all????
Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

^^^ no rust at all the car is awesome looking. i wouldn't mind payments if the car is worth it i guess. i was looking at doing a $5k down. the 95k miles is scaring me a little because the car has to be a DD. the thing is i want (like im sure alot of people do) dd that sees maybe track time twice a month. so basically something running mid to high 12's that i can drive safe everyday and get pretty good mpg. what you guys say for example that 5.0 i posted with maybe a good h/c/i combo with full exhaust and maybe slicks do on the 1/4? (the car is auto btw) and will that be reliable on the streets the car has to last me atleast 3 years lol

EDIT: another thing is the gas cost on these v8's i have never owned a v8 (past cars v6 camaro and subaru legacy) are they really the gas guzzlers people make them out to be?

Last edited by 60trimGT; 07-19-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

95k on a 5.0 is nothing...mine has 182k on it and it no problems whatsoever, doesn't burn oil, doesn't tick anything. Someone else can chime in on this but do gears, suspension, sticky tires and maybe a couple bolt ons and you'll probably be cracking 12's.

Gas mileage would probably be somewhere around 20mpg I would imagine and when it comes down to it, an SRT-4 is still a Neon and I'd be weary about buying someone else's project, especially a car like that.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
95k on a 5.0 is nothing...mine has 182k on it and it no problems whatsoever, doesn't burn oil, doesn't tick anything. Someone else can chime in on this but do gears, suspension, sticky tires and maybe a couple bolt ons and you'll probably be cracking 12's.

Gas mileage would probably be somewhere around 20mpg I would imagine and when it comes down to it, an SRT-4 is still a Neon and I'd be weary about buying someone else's project, especially a car like that.
and the Cobra is still a mustang lol...anyways i'm not really worried about the whole neon thing. i love cars no matter what they are. but what would a mid-high 12 mod list on a 95 gt look like? and how much would it cost? im trying to figure out if the gt is cheaper to get to 12's than the srt-4 which i been reading only takes stage 2 and slicks which is around $1300-1500
Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

Well this is a Mustang forum after, I'm sure if you went to an srt forum you would get a different awnser. Buy what ever you like more. The 5.0 is a great and reliable motor that is cheap and easy to make power with. a h/c/i swap, a vortech, and some LT's you got yourself a quick car. Which is still far less than 14k. That would probably get you in the 11's with some suspension. But its up to you not us.I personally couldn't drive a 4 bangin turbo.

Last edited by bpark8824; 07-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

srt's are ghey.......all they ever see are my tail lights , get the mustang
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Well this is a Mustang forum after, I'm sure if you went to an srt forum you would get a different awnser. Buy what ever you like more. The 5.0 is a great and reliable motor that is cheap and easy to make power with. a h/c/i swap, a vortech, and some LT's you got yourself a quick car. Which is still far less than 14k. That would probably get you in the 11's. But its up to you not us.I personally couldn't drive a 4 bangin turbo.
and thats $14k including car cost and tune? if so that sounds pretty good. will that set up affect the gas milage bad or no?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 PM
turbo87stang
1st Gear Member

your going to be doing a decent amount of maintenance on the srt4 to keep it as a daily driver because it has a bigger turbo on it plus you won't be able to romp on it a lot prob only once and a while but the mustang will be great 90K+ is nothing for the 5.0 i had 176k on the one i bought and i beat on it and the engine is still good(i was rebuilding the motor anyway and i wanted to see if it would go but it didnt) so anyways the mustang is a much better bet and trust me my brother went down the road of buying 4cylinder cars with big turbos and hes been through 3 different cars the past year because they all kept blowing up

Quick Reply: kind of stuck between these 2