5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How fast can I go for $2500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

it can be done... i'd go used on heads and spend the $500 u saved on port work though

used intake too... as long as you can see it b4 u buy it, just so you know it's not cracked or rougher than said.

it only takes a "true" 300 hp to hit mid 12's, as long as you hook up. and it really only takes cheater slicks to hook at that point, although decent lowers will make it easier

personally... i'd do 4.10's , 100 shot of nitrous and et streets for now. should run 12.50-12.90's all day long

then buy an old long block (i've seen them for $50 complete) get your HCI and slowly do a stroker on a stand or just a good rebuild w/ the new stuff if already have forged pistons in it. that way you can use studs instead of bolts and take your time.

my $.02
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

You can do a ton for 2500 bucks =) Allow me to introduce myself: I'm Brenna and I'm originally from redneck Illinois. What we used to do with the 5.0's is buy them cheap, broken, got one from a junk yard once for 500 a friend of mine. We'd get cars and build them as CHEAP as possible. My friend bought a 4 cylinder for 500 from the local bone yard, threw my old tappet motor in for 200 bucks with a used turbo charger and the thing was insane.

Anyway, if I had 2500 bucks and I already had the car, I'd be running to swap meets and your local drag and joining a local mustang operation off the forum. I mean, people sometimes shy from used parts but not me. If you can get a whole GT40 setup used and machine the parts, why not? My friend sold his GT40 setup with 4k miles on it for 500 bucks and that was everything! Look around =) Especially if you aren't planning on doing the work yourself and that 2500 bucks includes your labor.

Now you mentioned susension parts and what do get.......DOOOOO get subframe connectors. They'll keep your car straight after you beat on it for a number of years at a track. You can buy them from Summit or if you know someone who can make them from scrap, do that, it's cheaper. I can get you the demensions from a friend of mine or maybe somebody else on here makes their own if that's a welding project you plan on doing. For controls arms it seems like so many company's out there make them, it'd make your head spin. I've always been a fan of Granatelli myself. I always made sure they were adjustable too so that I could adjust the pinion angle for what kind of event I were at. I noticed someone on here mentioned the 4 cylinder springs =) YES! If you are going to be dragging the car mostly, if you put those puny springs in and go for a launch, all the weight of the car smashes the ground and your car launches like you wouldn't believe! Such a good trick, I was going to suggest that =) Other suspension mods you could do would be like drag bags, I'm surprised other people haven't mentioned that one yet. My car I have it tuned to ride about a half an inch higher on the passenger side so that when I mash it and the car gets what we call, "Mustang A$$", the drag bag reinforces the passenger side and the car launches much straighter then it normally would. Better trap times =)

Do your research. If I were in your position, my car would scream! It'd be so fast, you'd be scared of it!

Mwah!
Brenna
Old 10-04-2009, 01:55 PM
86blackgt
1st Gear Member

x2 on spray, et streets, and gear.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

We could do about 140mph in my car for that amount. I will even cut you a deal at $2499