5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Top end engine kit -cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grindman620
i completely understand building up the suspension is very crucial. i said EVENTUALLY i would like to have that much power. doing the top end would add a decent amount of power, what should i do to stiffen up the suspension and make sure not to torque the frame? subframe connectors? what else? i know there are endless things to do, but what is necessary in order to run a well built car?
i agree with the suspension first. thats what i did

you will need

weld in subframe connectors
upper and lower torque box reinforcements
upper and lower control arms
springs
adjustable shocks and struts
panhard bar for cornering (not necessary)

oh and if ur gonna go fast ur gonna need to upgrade the brakes too. stock fox brakes suck *****

Last edited by nacanitihs; 10-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

again thanks for the info guys. i will def. be upgrading the suspension/brakes before doing the motor work. now i know most of you all said i would be better off putting a kit together myself to do the top end. im new to this stuff and would love it if i could just get a good solid kit (all in one). even though it might be a little bit more pricey and wont put out an insane amount of hp #'s...what do you guys think of this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K514-360350B/

Claims to give 360hp. Now I know they are talking about to the crankshaft. But would this be worth it? As in I get a good solid kit that will give me reliable power?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

anyone know anything about this kit?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

its an ok kit, on average nets about ~270hp. IMO get bigger heads, bigger cam and a good flowing intake. piece it together if you want the most out of your stang.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Any recommendations on what "bigger" heads, cam and intake to use? Like anything you have heard puts out great power? Because I can look at this stuff all day and have no persona testimony or clue what I am looking at lol
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

like afr185's, custom cam, eddy intake or systemax intake..

also if you are wanting a kit, the systamaxII system from holley is pretty BA
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

so what makes the sytemax II kit better than the high end trick flow? or any other top end kit? there has to be a reason that you like it better. they all "claim" to have around 350-360 hp results.

and by the way, how do the stock transmissions hold up on high perf. top end kits like this? because I plan on doing up the suspension first, then going over to the motor, but i dont want anything else to be effected if I neglect it.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

cam design, lobe seperation on the systamax kit is more n/a oriented. it has proven track results by a member on here (iceman) i think all suspension and the systamax kit he ran like low 12 somethin maybe faster. i cant remember the exact time since he hasnt been here in forever. it has a wonderfully performing intake, just the heads are average size for a 302 mustang...165 runners. best thing about the kit though is that its all port matched.

also time and time again we've seen many other members disappointed and left wanting more with the trickflow kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arf5M...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx-yM...eature=related
Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

so say i do all the suspension mods that nacanitihs mentioned above ^^^ and then get this kit, will everything else on my car hold up ok? i mean my trans was rebuilt (previous owner) and I have a 3.73 gear with posi trac.....what else will i need?? the website says " a heavy duty manual trans is needed" i need more money lol
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

stock t5 is rated at 240-310 tq depending on years. on average its 300tq for a factory v8 car.....well thats what this mustang makes stock at the fly wheel. so you dont want to powershift or superhard launches(4k+). roll out of the hole aggressively and make sure ever shift is sure, dont half *** it. if you dont know what powershifts are...

this is powershifting. watch the gas pedal...it never lifts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwqLUUIj5Ts

the thing about modding the engine is the rest of the car will nickle and dime you to death. fuel upgrades, to support all the extra hp, if anything needs to be replaced, bigger TB/EGR, bigger MAF, taller valve covers and RR's (if your kit doesnt come with them) properly measured pushrods, and the list never ends. thats why suspension is the shyte....because there is only so much you can do, its easy, most are just bolt on replacement and make a huge difference in the long run. oh yea....its a lot cheaper.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 10-20-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Top end engine kit -cobra