5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Trick Flow...bare castings or assembled

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

Default Trick Flow...bare castings or assembled

Supporting mods are 75mm T.b Trick flow stage 2 cam trickflow track heat manifolds. Should I buy the bare castings and assemble them with parts of my choice?

Or buy the heads assembled. I know nothing about engine building and want to know if its worth assembling them with other valve springs etc.

What do you guys think? Its going to be a street/strip car, no power adders (for now) Is the Stage 2 trickflow cam a good choice for my setup as well?

Post your expierience and your recommendations!

Last edited by 88GTBLACK; 10-22-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 88GTBLACK

What do you guys think? !
this is what I think first of all:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0-...bers-read.html
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

I was a member about 2 years ago to MF with about 3000posts...and am fully used to posting in the tech section, for that was the only section, there was no tech section and general thread section...my apologies, just an old habit
wanna answer my ? sheriff? Its a tough choice its hard to stray away from Trickflow since their stuff works pretty well with their other products.. and i called their tech section and to my expectations say i should buy their heads assembled..Obviously there going to push their own product.

But again I want the best stuff what do you think?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I think you would be ahead to go and buy the heads assemblid. Rarely do you save much, unless there is something real special about your stuff. TFS has always seemed to me to use real good parts in thier stuff too.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

A lot of pro builders I'v talked to won't use TF heads. The springs and other hardware are not always up to snuff. By the time you replace all that stuff, it's cheaper to buy a set of Canfields.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an off the shelf pair of Dart heads. Price is about the same, and the hardware is top notch.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:01 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
A lot of pro builders I'v talked to won't use TF heads. The springs and other hardware are not always up to snuff. By the time you replace all that stuff, it's cheaper to buy a set of Canfields.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an off the shelf pair of Dart heads. Price is about the same, and the hardware is top notch.
your joking right? id buy a bare set and build them how I wanted
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Im using comp cam beehive style springs with my set up.

there springs will work fine, they do design them to work with there products. but personally i would upgrade on the springs.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 88GTBLACK
I was a member about 2 years ago to MF with about 3000posts?
then where is your old screen name?? banned??? as for heads go bare and build to needs
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to steer away from assembled TF heads what do you think Dart heads assembled? Or Twisted Wedge bare castings with goods like bee hive valve springs idk what kind of rockers..I wish I knew more so I know surely what im dumping 2k+ into..educate me. What should I get, watch out for, whats going to give me PTV issues.

And my old name was Whiteout 5.0 sheriff I couldnt get my password idk it my 87 was sold in 07 and was off the forums since. I havent gotten around to gettin a sig or an avatar yet for my new one. I dont got internet in my new apt. i only go on at work and dont wanna mess with the comp here with pics. Can we let this go lol delete my old name w.e do what you gotta do pm me
Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

For what it's worth....
Trick Flow uses Ferrea valves in the heads. Pretty good stuff IMHO.
The main reason I said to buy them complete was that you said 'I don't have any experience building engines'
It does take some special tools to build up a set of heads. Sort of a once in a lifetime type purchase.
Among other thing you need, 'C' type spring compressor, Spring pressure tester, snap gauge, dial type calipers.
Time and patience also help....

Quick Reply: Trick Flow...bare castings or assembled