5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what rear end carrier are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

traction-loc is actually Fords term for a limited slip diff, posi being GM's term
Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ford racing trac loc. when it dies im going with a spool
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

I've actually saw a auburn diff spin both tires with on in the dirt and one on the pavement. My choice is auburn but they are not rebuildable. But if it does ware out. I think it would be time for a spool or mini spool.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Signal 20

ok so while still on the subject of the rear ends I am currently rebuilding mine and cleaning it up. What is the large metal block that is bolted to the underside of the rear end up by pinion yoke? It is held in by 2 bolts and between the rear end housing and the bottom of the metal "block" is some very worn out bushings. I'm guessing it is a weight or possibly to reduce vibration, however my bushings are very worn out and I have not seen replacement bushings out there for it. Is there any reason why I cant go without it?

if you cant figure out what I'm talking about I will take a pic tonight and post it up.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Signal 20
ok so while still on the subject of the rear ends I am currently rebuilding mine and cleaning it up. What is the large metal block that is bolted to the underside of the rear end up by pinion yoke? It is held in by 2 bolts and between the rear end housing and the bottom of the metal "block" is some very worn out bushings. I'm guessing it is a weight or possibly to reduce vibration, however my bushings are very worn out and I have not seen replacement bushings out there for it. Is there any reason why I cant go without it?

if you cant figure out what I'm talking about I will take a pic tonight and post it up.

Its a vibration block. I forgot the exact name for it. TAKE IT OFF! They are pointless and like to make noises when wore out.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Signal 20

Originally Posted by slidenotch
Its a vibration block. I forgot the exact name for it. TAKE IT OFF! They are pointless and like to make noises when wore out.
thanks for the advice, mine was very worn out and was not even tight against the housing anymore
Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Signal 20

I have been doing more research and I'm thinking about just getting a 31spline housing and rebuilding it with the carbon fiber clutch kit. If I go to the bone yard and yank a 31spline housing from a 8.8 truck or suv rear end will that be the same housing that I would get it I baught the ford motorsports one? trying to save all the money I can to be used on other parts
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Before I went to a spool I ran a Ford T-Lock. I tried the mini spool before the full spool it broke after the first year don't think I would run one of them.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Yeah, that one

link?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fs308
link?

also wouldnt just doing the rebuild kit for 100bucks to the stock one be a lot cheaper?

Quick Reply: what rear end carrier are you running?