5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by 302army187
meh

go from making 300 at the tires to what 320?

whoop-de-do

I just figure they would work for this motor, and the 351 I plan to build in the future.
ok :shrug:

the 190's will do awesome on the 302 with the custom cam and be plenty for your 351 and have room to grow. 190FAC's on a 351 over on sbf runs10 somethin. go check it out.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

but look at the numbers..... they dont "flow" much more then regular twisted wedge heads
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

go on sbf and read about them. there are more than enough factual info to justiy the purchase.

on paper and in reailty(track +dyno proven)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

but look at the numbers..... they dont "flow" much more then regular twisted wedge heads
also...keep this in mind.

1. Do a search (Google, Yahoo, etc) for "cylinder heads velocity", "performance cylinder heads selection".

2. Do a search (Google, Yahoo, etc) for "performance camshaft", "performance camshaft selection criteria", "custom cams".

3. Do a search (Google, Yahoo, etc) for ANY other performance related topic..... suspension, gears, transmissions, etc, etc.

There is one trend no one looks at.......... they are all evaluated, tested, compared......but most important.........concluded on.... "island style"...... or separate, disassociated from its landlord = the whole combo.

A heads article w/out mention of the camshaft, intake, carburetor or FI, exhaust, etc, etc............ setup... is not worth the ink & paper or bandwidth, to make it public.........

Are these "reliable" evaluations?

um....

Just a thought........

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

im not talking about magazine articles. And I dont really give a crap about flow numbers ether. Im just saying it doesn't make sense.

I like you man, your my little buddy. But dont let thouse old goat's pull the wool over your eyes.

those combo's, those guys over there leave out key elements to some of those builds.

If a pair of fast as cast, or 190-205cc head, a custom cam, and a spyder intake was all it took for a 302 to run basement 11's it wouldn't be this **** it is like where everyone is trying crazy combo's trying to find something that works. everyone would have the same build.

Last edited by 302army187; 02-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

im not talking about magazine articles. And I dont really give a crap about flow numbers ether. Im just saying it doesn't make sense.

I like you man, your my little buddy. But dont let thouse old goat's pull the wool over your eyes.

those combo's, those guys over there leave out key elements to some of those builds.

If a pair of fast as cast, or 190-205cc head, a custom cam, and a spyder intake was all it took for a 302 to run basement 11's it wouldn't be this **** it is like where everyone is trying crazy combo's trying to find something that works. everyone would have the same build.
no because not everyone listens to the combos that work, they would rather buy cheap crap OTS parts..

Last edited by primetime5.0; 02-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Fox84

Good luck finishing this build. I'am waiting to see if you have any problems with the new alternator bracket. I want to be rid of the factory bracket and tensioner and also want power steering, no smog or AC. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Fox84

Hopefully, one day I'll have a Woody built Dart based 363 with FAC's with CI custom cam, but for now I'll be happy running 11.5's with no roll cage.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

robert, we've listened to each other for years and chit chatted here and there. i really wish you'd open your mind a bit to a new concept vs what you've been listening to for years on here as well as other places.

oh and fyi....i'll be having a surprise here soon to add towards my build
Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
no because not everyone listens to the combos that work, they would rather buy cheap crap OTS parts..
BAH-HUMBUG!

Originally Posted by Fox84
Good luck finishing this build. I'am waiting to see if you have any problems with the new alternator bracket. I want to be rid of the factory bracket and tensioner and also want power steering, no smog or AC. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two.
Thanks! Shouldn't be much issue, I mocked everything up before the tear down, and it should be fine. I just wanna try and hang the alternator low, and IDK if thats going to wrk with the way the belt would need to be routed.

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
robert, we've listened to each other for years and chit chatted here and there. i really wish you'd open your mind a bit to a new concept vs what you've been listening to for years on here as well as other places.

oh and fyi....i'll be having a surprise here soon to add towards my build
MEH.

We shall see. and what other surprise could you have? you already got a wild combo, and spray, what else you gonna do?

got ahold of my buddy that introduced me to this engine builder guy. He said he is currently at his farm in Nebraska for a emergency or something........ I didn't even know he had a damn farm. (makes scene why all his vehicles have "farm" tags now.)

so more then likely he ran out there in a hurry, and has NO reception for his cellphone...... f-ing great. hopefully he comes back soon...

otherwise here in about 2 weeks when my taxes come, its gonna be big heads, and switching this **** up.

Quick Reply: 302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.