5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigAndrew
See... Those old E7's are good for somethin
haha, yep.

Originally Posted by brian1570
god i hate ps pumps. they don't look any better on ls1's ether...
Yea, I know, but Im a big ol' sissy and want my powersteering.

Originally Posted by motorman524
Seems like that ps pump needs to be mounted a bit higher to me. What are you doing for a tensioner?
No, thats the stock placement with a/c, the a/c is just taken out of the picture, and p/s is still in the same place when normally people move it up. I hate blocking the head, and having that big ugly P/S pump as a focal point.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
If you look at the pics again you will see a turn buckle mounted to the bottom ear of the alt. That is what adds tension motorman.
correct sir. I just have it in a ****ed up place, so it will be a bitch to deal with, but will be worth it for keeping the focal point on the heads and not the accessories.

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
umm....your alt looks mounted lower than your powersteering pump. wont your belt rub across your water pump?
this is the planed layout.

Last edited by 302army187; 02-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
Seems like that ps pump needs to be mounted a bit higher to me. What are you doing for a tensioner?

Originally Posted by 302army187

thats his tensioner
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Aah I see
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Fox84

Which alt bracket is that? I would like to run my accessories the same as yours
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

ok that was a lot of page flipping lol. that was bs about the heads, but glad you got it back. cant wait to see this thing up and running. also love the accesory set up. I may do that to mine and loose some weight. good job
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What? No start up yet???? Your slacking again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 AM
brian1570
Blart

army u should most def make a trip to a track at lower elev. after your done.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox84
Which alt bracket is that? I would like to run my accessories the same as yours
Its the summit racing alternator bracket, its like $70 but as you can see it lets you get rid of the A/C. smog, and get rid of that horrible alternator/smog bracket.

Originally Posted by gearbanger
ok that was a lot of page flipping lol. that was bs about the heads, but glad you got it back. cant wait to see this thing up and running. also love the accesory set up. I may do that to mine and loose some weight. good job
thanks mang

Originally Posted by projectresto83
What? No start up yet???? Your slacking again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope your joking, I'm working my *** off man.

Originally Posted by brian1570
army u should most def make a trip to a track at lower elev. after your done.
It's in the plans. I would like to drive the car to florida to see my family, but with the 4.10 gears, the crappy gas mileage, and small tank, its not really a good cross country car.

took almost two hours running back and forth for belts. I measured 57" but they only had 58.2 and 56.5 so I tryed the smaller belt, which wasn't even close, so I went back and got the 58.2 belt, but the stupid autozone guy gave me a 5 rib belt instead of a 6 rib, plus it still was a little short. So I went back and got a 59" belt and got it set up. The belt is VERY tight, and is going to work better then I expected.

These god damn $100 head gaskets don't even have a notch for the intake gaskets to hook into them. So I had to put on some silicone and have it sit for like 30min. but got the lower intake on, dropped it right into place and I didn't have much issue.

I got the heater core lines hooked up, which was a *****, and took forever, then tried to put on the valve covers, but the gaskets where not lining up, so I did the same silicone trick with them.

which while this sat I set up the upper intake, and installed the throttle body and such

got the valve covers on........ just to reolize they will not work. I ether had to put the oil fill tube thing on the passenger side, which it would be right next to the firewall, which i thought was stupid, or put it on the driver side. Once I got it on the driver side, I found that the upper intake hit the fill tube.

I ether Have to switch the valve covers, and hope the fill tube wont hit the throttle linkage, Or I need new valve covers.

Ill see what i can figure out, maybe there is a local performance shop, or even ford, that has the right valve covers I can pick up today. Otherwise I will have to wait...........

I will see what I can do with the valve covers. If i can get them to work, I should be able to fire the car today without much issue. but if I cant get them to work. im ****ed.

Last edited by 302army187; 02-25-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

looks purdy. i like that alt bracket. might have to get me one of dem and short belt mine. F power stearing!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
looks purdy. i like that alt bracket. might have to get me one of dem and short belt mine. F power stearing!
yea, its a nice peice, price isn't to bad considering what you can do with it.

you think it looks good in those pictures? check this **** out.
(these are to show the valve cover's not working, but damn it looks GOOD)

Obviously not going to work....

where this stupid PCV is, is where the filler neck would be if i switch them, I do think it will work, so I will switch the valve covers real quick, and see how it mates up. If it works out, then I will go ahead and continue on. Then I will order the correct valve covers for when I tear it back down in about 500 miles to re-torque stuff, and install the bigger injectors/maf

Quick Reply: 302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.