5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

In search of better cooling

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default In search of better cooling

Well with the rad being blocked with the intercooler and the trans cooler plus the R-Block I have been running the fan more then I like. Even driving down the Highway I have to cycle the fan on and off and I don't like it and it is a pain in the butt and I refuse to let the fan run all the time that is just not right. This is on hotter days not as bad at night and cool days but still needs to be done. So the Trans cooler is gone in the fender with a duct to catch air and a fan on the back of it for town driving or gone under the car with the same. So with these mods I have a much bigger air gap and better flow area and if need I can hole the front cover underneath so I can have more air and it wont look bad but that is if but I really think this will fix the small issue I have. so I can drive the car on them couple hundred mile cruises with out taxing the charging system as much like on the hundred mile cruise I now make. What ya think good or bad. no it is not that heavy at all like a few pounds more then the stocker but being a street car I had to have some kind of reinforcement in case of wreck. and cutting up the OEM one would just make it weak and pointless to have so this is it. Just need to get some paint on it and all is good.
Attached Thumbnails In search of better cooling-front-bumper-002.jpg   In search of better cooling-front-bumper-020.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

what radiator are you running? stat?

i have a similar setup, with my IC completely covering the radiator and im not having any over heating issues.

i do have 5 holes cut into the bumper to help, my tranny cooler is mounted directly to the IC
i think it looks pretty decent with the holes in it

Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I run a Griffin rad and it is bigger then stock longer by a couple inches the Tstat is a 180 when it was S/C it ran to cold does the same thing with the 160. Them holes in your front cover I would think make a huge difference. I don't want to do that but I will drill them right under the ones you have so if you are looking at it you cant see it. it may not catch as much air with the underneath but with the set up I made it should help a lot more. I am just not a big fan of cutting up the front cover I didn't want to do what I have done for the intercooler but it is minor. How lose is your converter? does yours still lock up? ours don't and it is a 3800 so it gets pretty warm and that is just one more thing out of the way plus I figure why have that hot part making heat and sitting in front of the intercooler heating that air also. It may work may not time will tell but I think it will. and if worst comes to worst I may cut the holes like you have.