5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

vortech s-trim on gt-40 crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

Default vortech s-trim on gt-40 crate motor

hey guys, i wanted to get some opinions on people who know about superchargers. i currently have a 94 with a gt40x crate motor that has port work done to the heads and intake and the compression was raised to 9.5 to 1. i found a heck of a deal on an s trim and i had some questions.

the three questions i have are how much boost with a s trim will i safely be able to run? (keep in mind this is a daily)

what size injectors will i need?

whats a guess on the power it should make? i currently make 294 on motor and 412 on a 125 wet shot..

thanks, also any advice or comments good or bad would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

First off, how much $$ are you paying for this Vortech? Only asking because you can find some awesome deals on Corral.net under their classifieds/forced induction section. Now, as for boost, you can run as much as you want. Remember boost is a measure of restriction and really does not have any set number about how much power you will make. Take my car for example. It too is a 95. It's daily driven, has A/C, is loaded and pushes out 15psi(2.95 SC pulley and 6.87 crank pulley). It also runs mid 7's in the 1/8th(11.7 1/4) and has the potential to run much deeper. As for injectors, 42lb injectors(or 30lb or 36lb w/an FMU) will suffice along with a 255lph fuel pump. Since your cam and heads are nothing special(even though they have some work done), I would expect power to be around 430rwhp/430rwtrq on 10psi with a good tune. But then again, a tune will MAKE OR BREAK your combination. For some extra advice, make a good PCV system to prevent excessive blow-by. Also run colder spark plugs(Autolite 3924 gapped to .028 work well for me). And if your Vortech comes with their stock air system tract, dump it for an AFM powerpipe. The stock Vortech air cleaner system is extremely restrictive for our 94-95 cars. The AFM PP gave me an extra 5psi. Hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

the kit is missing some oil plumbing and tubes, but it has some after cooler stuff, i dont know too much about blowers yet, but it has the two main comp, the polished blower and bracket, it also has the pulleys and belt.. anywho the kit is 1100 and is local, are the deals or corral better than that, cause that would be awesome? i havn't looked on there, but ebay is way higher than 1100..

i def planned on running afm pp since the kit doesnt come with much piping, i have a na one on my car now and love it... your advice def helped, sorry to sound stupid, what exactly is a pcv system?

i finally got ahold of the guy that built my engine he also reckomended me to run a 7qt oil pan, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting a blower on the car because of the hyperuetectic pistons.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

is it a common theme to run into problems with hyperuetectic pistons and blowers more so than spray? i know they are not ideal for either, but i spray the car with a 125 shot and i was always told if im set up right that boost or spray i will be ok, but things always break especially when racing
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uenvyboykin
the kit is missing some oil plumbing and tubes, but it has some after cooler stuff, i dont know too much about blowers yet, but it has the two main comp, the polished blower and bracket, it also has the pulleys and belt.. anywho the kit is 1100 and is local, are the deals or corral better than that, cause that would be awesome? i havn't looked on there, but ebay is way higher than 1100..

i def planned on running afm pp since the kit doesnt come with much piping, i have a na one on my car now and love it... your advice def helped, sorry to sound stupid, what exactly is a pcv system?

i finally got ahold of the guy that built my engine he also reckomended me to run a 7qt oil pan, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting a blower on the car because of the hyperuetectic pistons.
Most of the kits I see on the Corral are around $1500-$2000, usually complete and in good condition. I bought my kit there for $1950 w/only 3,000 miles and an upgraded SC pulley. But still, it looks like you are getting a good deal. No ? is stupid on here. The PCV is the positive crankcase Ventilation system. http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-2R1.html For our cars, he PCV is located right behind the intake manifold and plums into a vacuum line. For boost it is a good idea to run a catch can to catch any excess oil("blowby"= oil past the rings in most cases). As for hyper pistons, I run them with 15psi. Infact, my entire lower end is stone stock. Hyper pistons can take extreme heat. And remember a GOOD tune will go a long ways in keeping your motor in check. Also, you DO NOT need a 7qt oil pan. The stock 5 qt is fine
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

thanks man, that was lots of help... if anyone else has any advice or words of wisdom feel free, i would really like to know how some other stock bottom end cars faired and if there is anythings else i should keep in mind while collecting parts before the install