5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Learned about Fram orange can of death

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
THOR74
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down Learned about Fram orange can of death

... a long story short ...

When my regular premium oil filter wasn't available, and I was in a time crunch, I recently installed a Fram oil filter on my 5.0. To boot - it wasn't their el cheapo filter, but one of their top ones and I paid very good money for it.

After installation, I noticed my oil gauge wasn't reading as high as it used to. I kept driving thinking the gauge would "settle down" since the car came out of winter storage and, over the years, I have noticed a little erratic behaviour from the gauge (not much, and only rarely). 99.9% of the time, the gauge has always read high and steady with a consistent readout.

In the meantime I did some research on forums like this one and on the internet in general and found out what garbage Fram filters have become. I can personally attest to three main faults of these products:

NUMBER ONE: Lowered operating oil pressure. I told a friend of mine who has been running nothing but Fram for years in his '96 Cougar with the 4.6 V8. He says that his oil gauge hasn't read properly in years. He put a non-Fram oil filter on and suddenly his oil gauge is reading high and steady, like it used to when he first got the car 8 years ago. Three summers ago I noticed that his engine was burning oil and leaving subtle blue clouds behind the car whenever he would take off - the engine had about 100,000 miles on it - I've seen the typical 4.6 with reasonable maintenance do better than that and I believe that his engine has suffered due to the crappy Fram filters he was using.

As for myself, after 400 miles on a new oil change I ditched the Fram today for a K&N and RIGHT AWAY my oil gauge is reading just as it always has - higher.

NUMBER TWO: Crappy anti-drainback valve technology. Virtually everyone who has disected and compared oil filters says Fram is in a (bad) league of its own here. Today, when I removed the Fram filter I was expecting the usual amount of oil to come out and, to my surprise, very very little actually did. The filter was therefore virtually empty. This is not good at all, and can definitely lead to premature engine wear.

NUMBER THREE: I have been doing oil changes on multiple vehicles for decades now and I have never had an oil filter collapse on me as I was trying to loosen it from the engine. Fram is noted for using very thin metal in making the outer shell. I never overtighten filters. In any event, by the time I got the bloody thing off it looked like a pretzel.

I know many of you know this already, but I just got schooled - and I consider myself pretty much "in the know" about car stuff.

My hope is that this will help even just one person to save their engine.

Like I said, I paid enough money for that premium Fram filter to have bought many brands of much better, acceptable product. It is true, Fram spends big money on advertising and on how to charge you more for less. My time and money were wasted, and my engine could have been at risk had I not caught this in time. Many cars do not have oil pressure gauges - you'd never know until it was too late.

I take my engines seriously and I am pissed. I'm going to keep telling this story to anyone who will listen. These guys are literally screwing us and I hope the word spreads.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Well, any time I have to use anything more than my 287lb gorilla paw to take a oil filter off some idiot put it on way too tight.I prefer a Motorcraft.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Motorcraft or puralator is what I use. I never have forked out the money for a K&N yet.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

FL1A = the best
Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Yeah I noticed that the first time I used the TOUGH GUARD those filters are **** good thing u noticed it when you did. I use the ford racing filters they are quite expensive but they are heavy and packed with material. I get them for cheap though an frpp employee though so i dont mind paying for them from him.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

NAPA filters are pretty good. They are a Wix filter even though they say Napa.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ive always used motorcraft filters on mine, one was on the car when I bought it and the FL1A is a great filter
Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
FL1A = the best
my car has seen nothing else infact i think in 06 you told me to get the motorcraft fl1a...fram= manditory suicide
Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Just put a k&n on for the first time on this new motor....so far love it.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:48 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by holyshift
Just put a k&n on for the first time on this new motor....so far love it.
hmmm waste of money get the motor craft filter its like under $5 at walmart...k&n over priced=bosch in my opinion, but not junk, just not worth it

Quick Reply: Learned about Fram orange can of death