5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cobra or street heat intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default Cobra or street heat intake?

I'm looking at ordering an intake this weekend, I have 500 dollars to work with, I'm either looking at the cobra or a trick flow street heat powdercoated black. The trick flow is 475 while i can get a satin cobra intake for around 375, is there much difference in power/flow between the two intakes? My current mods are in my sig, there not much, but i'm slowly building, not going to do heads and cam for a while thats why i'm just doing the intake now, if future mods this summer help the next step for me is headers. Any suggestions on which intake is better for me?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

i have a feeling your going to get alot of responses like 'dont do an intake unless your going to do heads and cam as well' only because youll be getting the MOST out of the intake as a combo.

but if i had to pick, id take the street heat. the cobra intake is good, but i think its only rated for up to 350hp or something, then your going to have to do some port work i think...but i could be terribly wrong. hah i know summit says its good for up to 350whp.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

this car most likely won't be getting above 350, as it is a daily driver and the car i use to get to college and back, and yeah i expect a lot of those types of responses but the cam and heads will have to wait until i get another car i can drive as a beater, which won't be for a while. so saying that this car won't surpass 350 horse power in the next few years, would you still say the street heat? my future mods are headers, underdrive pulleys, then after this summer i will be switching out the catted x for a normal x pipe. From then on all of my money will be saved for normal repairs and for medical school as I am currently a pre-med student.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Detroit Style
1st Gear Member

If you want to save money, just make the Explorer intake work. Its a cast version of the GT40 just like the Cobra one. You can pick them up at the junk yard for cheap too.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

or buy a used cobra for 170-200 and save

but i would spend my money on gears
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Not gears as a DD. That can come with he has the beater car. I'd go with the Trickflow myself, and actually that's what I plan on doing also but will probably do the entire top end kit at once.

On the side note, if you're car is the red one in the sig, why not go with satin Trickflow instead of black? I'm going with black because my GT is yellow and it's trimmed with black already. Just a thought. Your car, go with what you like and makes you happy.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

alot of guys on here daily drive with upgraded gears i do with no issues.. if the OP wannts to feel a difference with spending $500 i say go with gears better bang for the buck

oo yea i have 3.73 gear

Last edited by g3mustang; 05-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I didn't have the cash to put everything together at once so the intake was an easy start. I went with a cobra myself, did some port work on it, a 3/8" spacer and painted it myself with high temp paint and it has held up nicely for alot less then $500, I think I have less then $300 into it right now
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Detroit Style
1st Gear Member

Check this one out. $325 for a TFS-R intake manifold.
http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127252
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

a TFS-R is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too big for a 302. dont even consider that

i had the gt40 explorer intake (same as the cobra) but i found a good deal on a tfs street heat so i cleaned gt40 up painted it and sold it for $150. i have the street heat now and its similar to the same power i had before but looks a little better imo. but i picked it up used for $250. if I were you id shop around for a used intake and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

also whats wrong with gears for a DD?? i have all mods in sig and i just got 22mpg highway... cruise control at 65mph. so.. they are just fine.

if i were you id prob just invest in gears. the intake wont give you much of anything because the E7 heads are the most restrictive part of the stock motor. so think of it this way. you can get a better flowing intake but the part the intake connects to (heads) still flows the same (bottleneck)... thus you will prob net around the same amount of power.

Quick Reply: Cobra or street heat intake?