5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Finally got the new set up tuned and dyno'ed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Finally got the new set up tuned and dyno'ed

I'm putting the video first, so people don't get to bored of my long winded post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTpiyvhbsE

Well I've had the car up and running for almost three months after doing the head/cam swap. Its been stressful around here with the new house, baby on the way, and such.

Thought my running issues where mechanical, so tinkered on the car for a long time, adjusting everything I could think of.

Got talked into tuning the car, and im glad I did.

On the way to the dyno, driving to the highway, the car kicked, backfired, stuttered and the hole nine yards like it has been the last few months at part throttle. this is with new plugs, and had just cleaned the o2 sensors.

got there fine, brought everything i needed, (jack, jack stands, tire chocks, tools, ETC) changed the o2 sensors in the parking lot per the guy tuning the car's request.

Did not get a "before" tune, as he just pulled out the computer, and started working on it before he even pulled the car in.

He was using the "diablo" tuning software and chipped the computer. deleted all the emissions stuff, cut back the computer being able to requlate everything he said, set it up for the injectors and such. Asked me about the MAF, throttle body, and such.

so put the computer back in, pulled it on the dyno, and the thing was still breaking up like crazy, first two pull's on the dyno had to be aborted, as it was WAY lean.

kept having to adjust the computer/chip, then he said it was super lean still, so he had to bump the fuel pressure up a few times.

this doesn't make sense to me, but he had to bump the fuel pressure to 45-50psi. I think my fuel pressure gauge might be off, because that seems absurd, mainly for my elevation.

On the first good pull, the car dyno'ed at 300.15 hp, and 321 torque to the tires. I was pretty surprised/excited. My goal going in was 300hp to the tires AFTER the tune was said and done. I know this set up of mine is capable of good numbers, I just thought the 160,000 miles on the stock bottom end would effect the numbers MUCH more.

after we got it to stop breaking up, the car hit 321hp and 337torque! but he said this was to lean and dangerous. I told him I didn't mind if it was a little lean, as this car is just a toy, and It not like im driving it to work every day, but he said it was not safe.

The numbers went to 307hp 319trq after he got the air/fuel ratio to a good place. this was about the 8th pull in a row, the temp gauge in the car was just past 210 degrees!

We let the car cool for almost 20min with the fan's on it, and the numbers went up to 315hp and 328trq!

He was happy with the air/fuel curve, and said that with the car fully cooled, it would dyno over 320hp. It was also 91-92 degrees the hole time we where dynoing the car. On a cool day, with the motor cool, i think it might even hit 330rwhp

We then took the car out on the street, and the car was running great. One quick hiccup at the beginning of the drive, and then it cleared up, and ran PERFECT the rest of the drive. pull's GREAT, a big difference in "low down" torque. pushes you into the seat nice

here is the dyno graph for the final pull.

the car dynoed at 228hp and 270 torque with the stock heads and cam before the swap, so I picked up over 86 horse power and 58 torque at peak numbers! with the motor cool, it would be more of a difference.

The car is a blast to drive, The last couple weeks ive ignored the car, because all the running issues where so frustrating. I drove the car home from the dyno, and it was 95+ degrees out, hot as hell, stuck in traffic for 15min, and not a SINGLE hiccup.

drove the car for an hour this morning, and 30min this afternoon, and not a single running issue the car pulls like its on a 100shot of nitrous, feels just the same to me.

with the street tires on, its just destroys the tires in first and second gear. bring the car up to 4,000rpm's in second gear, mash the throttle, and the tires just rip loose

all in all im satisfied with the tune, payed $550 for 4 hours of the tuner's time, and 2 hours and 30min of dyno time. so I think it was pretty fair.

He is going to meet up with me, and tune the car for the nitrous, hook up a switch to wear I can switch from the N/A tune, to the nitrous tune at the flip of a button. Said he would do it, and include the switch for $100 plus dyno time. So I hope to get that soon. But I doubt it, as our due date for our little boy is july 18th, so the kiddo will be here in about 2 weeks, so more then likely the car will sit for a bit until everything calms down.

the heads/cam/weight reduction of my latest project, and that HUGE thread I made in this section is probably the best and WORSE thing i've ever done to this car, lol. I love when the car run's right, its a total blast, plant's me in the seat, beats every car that I come across on the street so far, and in general is a blast. but having to work on this thing just as much, if not MORE then I drive it really sucks ***. im REALLY tired of working on this thing, and just thinking of it now, I know the roller rockers probably needs adjusted soon.

anyway, I felt like I would share as so many people watched my build. I'm very happy with the results of the numbers, and the fact the car run's GREAT now.

The final test will be next week when I hit the track. I hope to gain 2-4mph and drop 2tenths to a half second in the 1/4 mile from the tune

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I was just thinking about your car the other day and almost bumped the thread to see what was going on with it.

The car sounded real healthy on the last run. The cam in the car sounds pretty mean too As far as the gauge, it very well could be off. Probably why you had so much trouble with it with the adjustable regulator. The new gauge that came with my kirban regulator has always gave a reading of 4 lbs. higher than a tester.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I was just thinking about your car the other day and almost bumped the thread to see what was going on with it.

The car sounded real healthy on the last run. The cam in the car sounds pretty mean too As far as the gauge, it very well could be off. Probably why you had so much trouble with it with the adjustable regulator. The new gauge that came with my kirban regulator has always gave a reading of 4 lbs. higher than a tester.
exactly!

If the gauges says 45-50psi, but is really at 35-40psi, then when I set it to 36psi, it could very well be as low as 20psi or even lower.

would explain a lot. But Its not a cheap gauge, so I dont know what to do to be sure about the gauge.

thanks for the compliments, the cam does sound mean at idle
(video is before tune, couple weeks ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXIpdw2zyiA
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

good to hear you got it running nice now!

when you going to the strip (may of said it in your post, but i am skimming before work and missed it)
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

Sounds awesome man! Glad to hear everything is worked out! This has me excited to finish mine
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 AM
BigAndrew
1st Gear Member

Awesome... Cant wait to see some new runs at the track
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
good to hear you got it running nice now!

when you going to the strip (may of said it in your post, but i am skimming before work and missed it)
thanks!

I hope to hit the strip next week. I already went when the car was not tuned, and breaking up between the runs. but it still droped 1.1 second/s off my 1/4 mile time, and added 7-8mph. So im hoping for another 2-4mph and 2 tenths to even half a second off that time from the tune.

Originally Posted by Lazor05
Sounds awesome man! Glad to hear everything is worked out! This has me excited to finish mine
thanks! get to work! haha

Originally Posted by BigAndrew
Awesome... Cant wait to see some new runs at the track

well I think the balencer **** the bed. I'm trying to figure it out. Don't wanna hit the track and have the balencer go dancing down the track and make my motor eat itself.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Did awesome job, sounds and run great!!!! I saw a lot of support from this site.
We all try to get by with what we can when trying to support our hobby/passion, especially when trying to maintain a good job and raise a familly. I did it, 8 month deployments every year and 4 young-n's to raise. Now its the grandkids.

What I miss is the Auto Hobby Shop on base with access to all the lifts and equipment plus the paint booth. When I was home I gave that place a workout.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MADMAC
Did awesome job, sounds and run great!!!! I saw a lot of support from this site.
We all try to get by with what we can when trying to support our hobby/passion, especially when trying to maintain a good job and raise a familly. I did it, 8 month deployments every year and 4 young-n's to raise. Now its the grandkids.

What I miss is the Auto Hobby Shop on base with access to all the lifts and equipment plus the paint booth. When I was home I gave that place a workout.
the army has auto shops with lifts n stuff on base?? that is pretty sweet!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MADMAC

thanks!

Originally Posted by Shelty
the army has auto shops with lifts n stuff on base?? that is pretty sweet!

yea, at FT. Carson where I was there was a full shop, with all the tools you would want, lifts, places to swap transmissions, and pull motors. everything was a real cheap and fare price, you just "rent" the tools while your there.

IDK about the paint stuff, I heard about it, but never looked into it. I used the shop a handful of times, and it was a pretty nice place, a couple old civilians working there will walk around any help anyone out with info if they need it.

Quick Reply: Finally got the new set up tuned and dyno'ed