5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

So I have a retard as a friend..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Default So I have a retard as a friend..

I went intertubing this weeking, got so red I look like a lobster. Anyway, my buddy as been borrowing my mustang since his truck was stolen I said fine, JUST BE SURE TO CHECK OIL AND WATER. So we all decide to go innertubing. He has to drive it 150 miles to our destination while I ride with another buddy.

My ride and I show up at the river, wondering where my buddy is in my car. I then receive a phone call.

We find him on the side of the freeway.

He DIDNT check the water OR oil. Ran my car bone dry of oil and water. So bad it seemed my car was steam powered. The engine was knocking due to no oil. Car wouldnt start after he tuned it off due to severe overheating. Remove oil cap and smoke was exiting the engine.

We waited for all to cool down, got 2 quarts of oil in there, and it seemed my car was drinking all the water she could get. Then I see water at my feet. I look underneath and its coming from the water pump.

Longer story cut short, had to tow car home 150 miles. Water pump is toast, as is my thermostat. Now with oil in engine, it runs fine just pisses water

I am DAMN lucky this 302 only had 64k miles on it and well maintained or it would have went kaput on me.

Thought I would share.

Is there anything else I should check for damages that I have not mentioned so far? Any hidden things that might nail me in the near future? And any ideas as to how to punish my buddy for just about killing my baby? Kill his firstborn? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :P
Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
j3rry
2nd Gear Member

ya check out where your oil is going cause if oil was bone dry u deff have more then water pump probs
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

I dont see any active oil leaks. Never have. So something new must have occurred.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
93hatch306
2nd Gear Member

run a compression test....good chance it popped a head gasket with all that going on.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Wtf? How did it run that low on fluids in the first place?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

64k not alot of miles why was it eating up all the oil in the first place? did the car smoke bad rings??Was he beating the living crap out of it when you weren't around?

Last edited by 9redfox3; 08-15-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

My car has been in top shape since I owned it. I maintain it regularly, Im no retard when it comes to maintenance. Better to be safe then sorry. I take care of it. Every two weeks I check water and oil. Where I park my car, concrete underneath is nice and clean cause there are NO leaks. I assume my buddy beat the hell out of it cause only things that were wrong with my car where the heater core and PS pump. Car did not smoke AT ALL. Sounded great, ran strong and true. Hes had the car off and on for 2 weeks.

compression test is a logical step. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
2005mystang
1st Gear Member

Wow... sounds like time to get a new buddy to me

Exactly why I have not let anybody other than my mechanic drive my car... not even my hubby... yet.

Hope the damage isn't too severe... good luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

So where exactly were your fluids going? Coolant I can understand if the pump failed and it lost volume through the weep hole, but how did the engine use up all the oil? Sounds like it had problems before your buddy got it.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

read please, :https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html

and I fail to believe the water pump just started pissing big time, often there is a small trail at the weep hole to be seen, wheter it reaches the ground or not is another thing, you obviously hand a inkling of such since you check it regularly, whether you wanna admit it or not. so sorry no sympothy here

Quick Reply: So I have a retard as a friend..