5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1990 GT suspension ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 PM
JPLoria1106

Default 1990 GT suspension ???

As far as suspension goes on my car it's bone stock... looking to get some ideas on what to get and which brand to buy right now here is what I'm thinking of doing...

Springs - Eibach Pro kit
Shocks and Struts - KYB AGX gas Adjustable
Caster/camber plates - Hotchkis or Maximum Motorsports
new a arms - Ford ???
Rear upper and lower control arms - ????
bump steer kit - ????
new K member ???? do I really need this or can i just get the brace???
maybe some strut tower braces???
bushings?? offset???
and am i going to need to replace inner or outer tie rods?
and anything else that i missed please feel free to add because im only really sure of the first 3 items on my list thanx
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

id look into diff springs. eibach tend to sag in the rear after a little while. look into H&R

dont get new a-arms unless you are going tubular k-member. and the reason for the tubular k-member is for weight. you like a crap load of weight off the front end by switching.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
JPLoria1106

yea ive been doing a lot of reading on here... most guys talk about the H&R Supersport springs... I was only gonna go with Eibach cause I had them on my 96 gt... never had a problem but I did sell the car about a year after I installed them... guess that wasnt enough time to see a sag.

Not looking to swap out the K-Member...it's not really gonna be a race car...just a cruiser with the occasional track day... I could put that money into something else...What do you think about the rest of the things i mentioned???
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

i don have any experience with kyb but i have strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts and i like those.

for just street use there is really no need to go all fancy on the control arms. i have granitelli uppers and lowers but any non-adjustable will do, really. upr makes a nice set. but just make sure if you are running poly bushings that you use the stock rubber bushing in the axle housing to prevent binding.

i dont have cc plates or bump steer kit.

strut tower braces are nice but make sure if you get one it will fit with your intake choice. the one i have doesnt fit with my trickflow intake. i do ont know the brand tho
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

What are you trying to get out of the car?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
JPLoria1106

I wasn't really looking to go fancy on anything just I'm not positive of my intentions with the car yet and if I'm gonna change something I wanna do it right and put a good part in... I'm going with the KYB's cause I also had those in my 96... never had a problem with those and they were very easy to adjust... Not trying to say ur parts are bad but i havent really seen anyone on here say anything good about UPR, same as granitelli...although Ive only seen granitelli in one of my catelogs... I personally have not had parts from either
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
JPLoria1106

I know guys who run the H&R springs say that they lower the car enought to need castercamber plates as well as the bumpsteer kit... not really a problem as far as cost for me mine as well do them at the same time... but im confused on whether or not to run the isolaters??? some guys do...some dont...some only run one???????
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM
JPLoria1106

as far as what I want to get out of my car... well lets put it this way... my mustang is not my daily driver... my DD is my 05 Subaru STi... and that car handles like a dream... I'm a muscle car guy at heart and bought my 90 gt convertible for a nice weekend car that has ***** and can handle pretty decent as well... So far I've only really done BBK 5/8 headers, Offroad H-pipe, Flowmaster catback (delta flow 40 series) Rebuilt rearend (Cobra Posi, Moser axles and 373 gears) pro 5.0 short shifter, and I completely gutted and redid the interior(new carpet, leather seats,) I havent touched the engine minus some pulleys a new PA performance altinator, and a few other minor things cause I was leaning towards maybe a 347 stroker build, or putting that "Hotrod" motor in if I have the money $.....So in the mean time I'm getting all the other modifications done and done right so the car can hande the 350-400 rwhp... Suspension was next on my list and then the transmission and clutch were after that