5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

2005 Dash into 1992 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Myers407

I have to tell you that I am flat out impressed. This is by far one of the most ambitious projects that I have seen. But that is what make a car "your" car. Way to go it looks great and can't wait to see the out come.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 AM
strykerfive

I've had to put it on hold for awhile. I'm preparing to make a transition out of the Marine Corps this summer. Finding a new career has been top priority, but it's tough to decide on what I want to be when I grow up, ha ha.

I have been working on the project but not early as earnest as I was able to do over the holidays.

Dash and frame were wider than the fox body. Cuts had to be made. That part of the project is primarily form fitting. Top of the dash had to be trimmed as well. The 05 dash sit deeper than the fox. To lock down the dash like the fox dash was, I've cut out the end cap from the top of the fox dash that screwed into the firewall. That piece will be fiberglassed to the under belly of the top of the dash.

Shifter is angled back. If your interested I'll post the measurements once I get to that part of the project. Center console is redesigned to be more functional. I'll have to post the prelim drawings.

Currently hung up on building the firewall mounting bracket. Primarily trying to find the time to work on it. Steering shaft is nearly completed. Can't build the last segment of the steering shaft until I have the firewall mounting bracket built.

Air ducting 90% complete. Built fiberglass air box connectors onto existing fox and 05 air ducting to match them up.

Door panels redesigned to carry on the traditional 65 panels. Big change to the door handle location because of personal tastes. Hope to have those built in three weeks.

My biggest challenge of all is going to be the instrument panel. Still don't have a solution that matches what I am looking to achieve. More to follow on that topic in a couple of weeks.

I have a ton of pics and need to post them up. Lots of little things for anyone that ever decides to take on this type of project.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM
strykerfive

Thanks to all of yall for your comments. It helps for building motivation!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 AM
strykerfive

Steering shafts and firewall mounting bracket are built and connected. Working the fine tuning. Air Ducting is complete. Began working the shaping for the door panels and center console design measurements are in progress. Noticed a little movement in the dash frame while testing the steering; will be adding a top support thats a hybrid between the 90 and 05 top support once I splice the two together and weld them. Also will add the security bolts to the lower sides that I had pre-planned early in the planning process.

Have decided to paint while the vehicle is apart and have begun body work. Cut out a piece of top layer metal that was on the pillar under the door weather stripping and welded in a new piece, grinded down the welds, and painted with POR. Pulling weather stripping and trim like its cool looking for more hidden rust. This Hawaiian salt air is tough on the cars here.

I owe pictures, just need to find the time between working the car and looking for a new career to step into after the Marine Corps. Best of luck to all.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
strykerfive

Steering and A/C Ducting complete. Finishing door panels so they match up with dash. Just started work on the instrument cluster and the wiring.

Also just replaced all my front brake lines and master cylinder, but that doesn't have anything to do with the dash.

I'm trying to meet a personal goal and have the car up and running by mid April, and painted by the beginning of May.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 AM
strykerfive

Default Update 01 May 2011

Its been awhile since I have been back on. Project is nearly completed. I ended up stopping on the body work mid way through after having a realization that if I needed to do any excessive work on the vehicle I didn't want to accidentally damage the new paint. Had to spend a couple days re-working brake lines after finding the salt air here in Hawaii played havoc on them.

Dash is installed and air ducting competed to include the windshield venting. Going to do another add on project to the windshield vent at a later time by doubling up the 1990 windshield vent moulding but that will be after I get her back to Texas in July/August time frame.

Built an instrument panel using the 2005 instrument cluster plastic housing. Cut and placed specific gauges from the 1990 instrument cluster into the housing, and installed an aftermarket 4 inch tach and electric speedo.

In the process of finishing up the door panels that I customized. I took the original 1990 door panels and stripped them down to the metal top piece. The cardboard backing was so deformed and molded it was beyond repair. I used a plastic board that I bought from a supplier for auto upholstery products here on the island. Cut out the arm rest holes and other needed areas to be able to hang the panel on the door. Decided to move the door handle from the top forward position to under the arm rest (personal preference). Cut out the door handles from the door and welded them to the area I wanted. I wanted to keep a design that was matching close to the look of the classic Stangs door panel. I wanted a smooth metal look but wanted an insert. I'll place a pic of where I am at with the door panel, not really sure I can explain this one too well. I'm painting them gloss black to match the upholstery of the seats. The insert will have an outer black vinyl ring with white pony vertical stripes on the inside. The arm rest will be painted black with a vinyl pad. Needless to say I'll be taking this down to my upholstery guy this week to make my inserts.

Decided to go with the 2005 center console and parking brake. Took out the 1990 parking brake, and built a bracket to install the handle on. Routed the parking brake cable through the use of a 3/8 diameter brake line tube. Used an old brake cable line (stranded metal cable) to attach to the 1990 parking brake hanger to connect to the two separate parking brake cables. The parking brake was designed to be adjustable by placing an eye loop bolt through the parking brake hanger. I'll have to take a pic of this one, because i think I just confused myself.

Just built the front and rear bracket for the center console. I decide to use the 1988 GT A/C controls that I had in my donor car. Fiberglassed that onto the bottom of the 2005 dash cut away that I had when I trimmed the dash skin earlier in the project. I cut out shift extenders from 1/4 steel and will clean those up and drill out holes to attach to the shifter on tuesday.

I've collected up most of the connectors from the 2005 mustang and have been researching wiring diagrams for the 05 and 90 to determine how to connect the 05 switches to the 90 components. Wiring is next, and if I keep on schedule i should have it all wired in within the next week and half. I'll be doing the Fog light fix in the process so as to not have any problems with too much amperage melting the switch.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

NEED UPDATED PICS
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
strykerfive

Below is a link for some updated pics. Some of the pics are a little rough since, i need a better camera.

Just shot the door panels with primer on Monday evening.

http://img189.imageshack.us/g/img4258h.jpg/
Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 AM
strykerfive

Finishing the wiring up this week. Hoping to fire her up this weekend or next Tuesday.

Door panels are with my upholstery guy getting an insert built. Hope to pick those up at the end of the week. Shift extender works, but will incorporate a heims joint into the design at a later date to reduce movement.

Probably the least fun of the whole project has been the wiring. It's definitely been a kick in the gentlemen area.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 AM
strykerfive

Wiring Complete, started her up last week, fine tuned some wiring, and drove her around for a test drive today. Now have a fully functioning 2005 Dash, tilt-steering column, and center console in a 1990 Mustang Convertible. Still have some minor items to complete (A/C Controls integrated into Dash, and IPad 2 installation), but those will wait till after I move back to the mainland in July.

I'll post some new pics tomorrow. I driving her with the top down felt awesome. Now in the process of prepping the vehicle to paint. Already have body work complete on half the car. Hoping to shoot primer on Tuesday if all goes well.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dash into 1992 mustang