5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

2005 Dash into 1992 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 AM
strykerfive

Default Update 06 Dec 10, Fox Body Dash Conversion

Thanks all for the motivation and great info.

Following this post I'll add pictures to my profile of the progress from last week.

The dash frame has been hung in the vehicle. I built a bracket for each end of the dash frame, and had them welded onto the frame. I then built inner wall brackets, and had those welded onto the vehicle to meet the brackets on the dash frame. The dash frame then bolts into the inner wall brackets. During planning and design phase I wasn't sure of the angle that I wanted to hang the dash, and unsure if I was going to need to pull the dash out further from the wall. Thus I built the dash frame brackets in a manner that would allow the dash to be manipulated. A lower bracket will secure the dash preventing movement. An additional "set bolt" on both sides of the dash into the inner wall will also provide additional insurance that the dash won't shift during vehicle use.

After trimming the dash top and sides, the dash married up to the frame easily. Now I'm working on the lower bracket and prepping the steering column for installation. The steering column, and steering wheel is also from a 2005.

I'm still in the planning phase of the instrument cluster. I've been researching and designing a custom instrument cluster. Thanks for some of your comments they really helped. However after a conversation with a friend, I'm wondering if I can use the 2005 instrument panel by splicing the connector onto the 1990 harness for the fuel, water temp, tach, and other incidental gauges and alerts. Items that aren't available on the 1990 like ABS, I won't connect into. For the speedometer I was looking at an electronic speed sensor from the manual transmission to the 2005 instrumental connector (bypassing the 1990 ECC). Open to any thoughts or suggestions on this one.

Interesting note, I thought my pillars were free of rust till I pulled the weather stripping away when I was prepping for the welding of the brackets on the inner wall. Thankfully I caught it in time and only one layer of the pressed frame was shot. Now I have another weld project to reinforce the pillar.

Hopefully by this weekend I will have the lower bracket completed and installed.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 AM
strykerfive

Default Dash Conversion Update Pics

OKay, So adding to my profile albums seems to be impossible since I only have 23 KB of space. COA 2...Image Shack links. Thanks to Hollister Hoodlum for the heads up on Image shack.

30 Dec 10 Pics: Dash Frame Brackets after weld and paint.
http://img137.imageshack.us/g/img3284u.jpg/

01 Dec 10 Pics: Vehicle Inner Wall Brackets prior to weld
http://img375.imageshack.us/g/img33410.jpg/

05 Dec 10 Pics: Inner wall brackets welded, Dash Frame bolted on prior to painting.
http://img507.imageshack.us/g/img3348n.jpg/

06 Dec 10 Pics: Dash Installed with top brackets.
http://img525.imageshack.us/g/img3358k.jpg/

Let me know if the links don't work.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

so are you going to make it a two seater since it looks like you'll have to put the seats further back? rear set delete and such.

and now that i looked at the new pictures it doesn't seam as bad anymore.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 AM
strykerfive

Nope it's still has four seats. I had the seats in the other day to ensure I still had leg room. I was a little worried about leg room but there is plenty of space.

I finished the bottom dash bracket and am currently working on placing the 2005 steering column in now. I did my first cuts to the 1990 pedal assembly bracket. I ended up cutting approx 4 inches off the driver side of the bracket. This will allow the steering column to attach to the dash frame.

Since the 2005 rack&pinion connector for the steering control arm is different I initially was going to have the 1990 connector machined onto the 05 steering column. However a friend told me tonight that the 94-95 connector will match up to the 1990 Rack&Pinion but also has the same type of upper arm connector that the 05 has. That would be ideal to only bolt on vice having it machined. Less worry about the machined part failing while I am driving.

More pics coming this weekend once I get the steering column bolted on.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

what are you doing about the shifter/console, from that angle, it looks like the shifter is going to be in the same place the radio/hvac controls are supposed to go
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
strykerfive

I planned to offset the shifter back with an shift extender that I built. As for the center console I developed a design that brings the HVAC, "radio", and shifter inwards to meet the change in position of the dash. Some other big changes in the center console are: movement of the parking brake closer to the driver vice next to the passenger, cup holders. The arm rest / console compartment is also redesigned. I'm using the old console as a baseline to work from since it has the contour of the bottom and building from there. I'll scan the design and post it later on.

Does anyone know where I can get a 1994 Mustang GT lower power steering shaft & steering knuckle? I need it to modify the 2005 steering column that I'm placing in the vehicle. Preferably used since most of the prices I see for aftermarket are extremely high; $250+. I already tried all the salvage/junk yards on Oahu and no luck. Unfortunately they discontinued the part at the dealerships.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

try corral net, craigslist or go with a max motorsports solid shaft, but its pricey
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM
strykerfive

Awesome, thanks Shelty!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I'll say it again - I can't wait to see the results of this! Thats what makes a site like this so cool - people like me who have no time or facilities to undertake such a project can live vicariously through other's projects
Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
speed1972

Did you have to cut the dash anywhere it would be visible on the top or sides that would need cosmetic fixes? Or did it fit the width and depth fine?

Also, what are your plans for the shifter? It looks like the dash comes pretty far out in that area.

LB

Quick Reply: 2005 Dash into 1992 mustang