5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

94 GT Vert Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default 94 GT Vert Problems

Here is a little background on this car. I boought a 94 Mustang GT vert for $3K a year ago. The car has 187K miles. The previous owner said that the engine, tranny and suspension was all rebuilt and only had like 30K miles on the rebuild. When I got the car, it would hardly stay running and it was hard to start. I fixed most all that since a lot of the vacuum lines were not connected, the timing was way off and the engine needed a better ground. When the tranny was rebuilt, they put in a shift kit and it shifts really hard.

Here are a couple of problems that I want to get resolved but I am unsure how to resolve them:

I had a 17 tooth speedo gear and I changed it out with a 21 tooth because the speedo was off like 10MPH. It only made a 2MPH difference. It did shift a little better at a higher MPH more like it should. Now my speedo is off about 8MPH. I checked it with the radar speed limit sign going into town. Speedo said 38 and the sign said 30. I don't know what else to do to get this corrected more.

After I got all this done, I went to town to get gas in the car. I shut it off but it wouldn't start. I had to jump it to get it to start. All the time before this, I was starting and shutting off the car with no problem and it is about 7 miles to the gas station. I got the car jumped, drove it home and after I shut it off, I tried to start it again and there was no problem. I did that several times with no problem. What is up with that?

I noticed one other thing, the throttle cable is too long by about 1.5 inches. How can it be shortened to the right length? Both ends look like they are pressed into a fitting that really can not be changed out because they fit the holders on both ends like they were designed.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what gears are in the rear end?? the drive gear on the tailshaft may be what needs changing now.......the no start, you need to be more specific.....cranks but won't start??? or won't crank therfore won't start when prob occurs?? which of the two is it???
Old 12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
what gears are in the rear end?? the drive gear on the tailshaft may be what needs changing now.......the no start, you need to be more specific.....cranks but won't start??? or won't crank therfore won't start when prob occurs?? which of the two is it???
They said that it has 3.73 gears in the rear end. They put in an AODe tranny when the work was done.

When it wouldn't start, it acted like a dead battery, no crank. So far, it only happened that one time.

I also had to replace the convertible top. That was a job, now I know why installers are paid the big bucks.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Mike, its an automatic, he cant correct the gears any further with that method.

OP, look into a Speedcal. You can program it to alter the electronic signal from the VSS to show the correct speed on your speedo.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I'll check into Speedcal......

Anyone know about the throttle cable and maybe the one time battery dead issue?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

id have to see pictures of the problem with the throttle cable, to give you any useful advise
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
id have to see pictures of the problem with the throttle cable, to give you any useful advise
Here are a couple of pictures. It is kind of hard to see where it attaches to the thottle body.
Attached Thumbnails 94 GT Vert Problems-img00069.jpg   94 GT Vert Problems-img00070.jpg  

Last edited by VaporDude; 12-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

doesnt look too long to me. looks like you have it disconnected from the TB, but thats about it.

if you pull on the throttle cable from the engine bay, you will actually LIFT the gas pedal. however, WHat you should do is measure the TPS voltage at WOT (by hand) and then check it again while holding the pedal to the floor. see if the values are the same or even close. That will tell you if your cable has stretched at all.

do this with the engine NOT running ofcourse.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
doesnt look too long to me. looks like you have it disconnected from the TB, but thats about it.

if you pull on the throttle cable from the engine bay, you will actually LIFT the gas pedal. however, WHat you should do is measure the TPS voltage at WOT (by hand) and then check it again while holding the pedal to the floor. see if the values are the same or even close. That will tell you if your cable has stretched at all.

do this with the engine NOT running ofcourse.
Like I said, that picture isn't the greatest. The cable is connected and the car does run. If I push the cable back, then mark it then pull it back out, it will come back out and 1.5 inches. For a temporary measure, I sliced a vacuum line and put it on the cable up by the throttle body and that helped out a lot. Now I have about .5 inches of play. I am betting that when the previous owner put on the Edelbrock intake, that pulled the throttle body back about an inch or so and that would make the cable appear longer than it should. There were so many thing that were rigged up on this car, it is hard to get it all sorted out.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

do you understand hat i said about how to check it?

Quick Reply: 94 GT Vert Problems