5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Finally got my oil dip stick out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Default Finally got my oil dip stick out!

So after a year and half I have been driving without a oil dip stick tube. So oil has been spewing out from the open hole. The oil dip stick broke flush to the block while removing my stock headers and installing aftermarket ones. So finally, it is out!

I removed the headers (I don't think you needed too) then stick the tool I made and pulled hard! And it just ripped out. I tried a paint can opener, pliers, a chisel, and even thought about dropping the oil pan. Hopefully this helps somebody out

Last edited by 19stang88; 01-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

easy outs are what I have used, = 2 sec and out
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I have heard about using that but I didn't want to have metal shavings.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I can't understand why a paint can opener wouldn't work... it's worked fine for me three different times. The only problem I ever had was one that was really stuck and I couldn't get it to hook on, so I took a grinder to the tip of the can opener and re shaped it and pulled it right out. I don't see a difference between the tool you made and a pain can opener. ??? I think you may have given up too soon on the paint can opener idea. At least you got it out, that's the imprtant part, but I think you made this problem harder than it should've been though.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Great pic. Maybe when someone googles this problem they will see this and the paint can opener idea, but a Year and a half..WOW. How much oil did you lose a week?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
I can't understand why a paint can opener wouldn't work... it's worked fine for me three different times. The only problem I ever had was one that was really stuck and I couldn't get it to hook on, so I took a grinder to the tip of the can opener and re shaped it and pulled it right out. I don't see a difference between the tool you made and a pain can opener. ??? I think you may have given up too soon on the paint can opener idea. At least you got it out, that's the imprtant part, but I think you made this problem harder than it should've been though.
I've tried the paint can opener many times. I used like 4 and I wouldn't get the thing out! the paint can opener was a great idea and i got it from you but every time i would try to get some pulling force it would slip and not grab. I finally said screw it, so i removed the headers to have more working space and pulled the damn thing out. I think the reason why I couldn't remove the broken oil dip stick tube was because I probably lodged it further in trying to replace the dip stick tube and not now there was a part broken into the block. I might have taken more time, but it is a lot better than dropping the oil pan.

Originally Posted by TexasTanker19kilo20
Great pic. Maybe when someone googles this problem they will see this and the paint can opener idea, but a Year and a half..WOW. How much oil did you lose a week?
Hopefully, stuff like this happens all the time. Yeah I know, oil just poured out like crazy, i probably lost 2 quarts a month. I just filled it every time my check oil light came on. Not very healthy for my engine, but she is still running like a champ.