5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

which superchargeR? Please help, with experience.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

Default which superchargeR? Please help, with experience.

have a stock 5.0 with a gt40 intake. plan to get a 70mm throttle body & vortech 8-10psi supercharger OR 5-6PSI supercharger (SUGGESTIONS!?!?!)

And my buddy has for sale 42lb injectors with PROm 75mm mass air flow calibrated for a supercharger and 42lb injectors.. for 200 bucks.

Should I get that? And which supercharger do you suggest? If I go with the 8-10 PSI I'm gonna have to wait on injectors , TB, and mass air and run the FMU, but if i get the 5-6 I can spend money on injectors and stuff. Because of the 1000 price difference. I have 3k.

thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

thing is, you won't need the 42's with only 5-6 psi and to upgrade that unit to 8-10 it'll cost a bunch more than had you'd of bought the 8-10 initially, I already have gone through all the questions and scenarios that are presenting themselves to you now, I will be running a 10 psi set up from a v-1 that I got on a good deal, or at least when I'm done doing work for the guy it'll be mine, anyway for the time being I will use the fmu on it with a t-rex pump, my injectors are currently 24's while I know the fmu is a bandaid, it'll at least make it driveable and somewhat safe until I get 42's and my maf calibrated at that time it'll get a tune, I in no way plan to race it with the fmu set up, but the car that it is coming off of made 360 to the rear wheels with 10 psi, had an f-cam, ported stock heads, gt-40 intake, heads were o-ringed and block uses studs to clamp the heads down......I thought I told you all this already......8-10 psi kit is what you want and can be run off the fmu but care must be taken so you don't go lean in the upper rpm's, having a wideband if using an fmu would be a good idea...but then again that costs too fyi, 3k won't get you a proper set up done on a 8-10 psi kit if buying new, more like 4k..........and 5-6 psi will leave you wanting more

Last edited by mjr46; 02-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

ok thank you. you made it very clear!!

One more thing, when i get the 8-10psi setup, does it come with something to turn the PSI down to like 5-6 so ill feel safer. til i upgrade the fuel components and intake components and a tune later on when money suffices.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yeah...it's called a piece of wood under the accelerator pedal.......lol.....what is the set up/ currecnt fuel system that'll be run on the 8-10 kit??...also you can pull timing to be safe as well to avoid detonation.....I will also be running a msd btm with retard function
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
yeah...it's called a piece of wood under the accelerator pedal.......lol.....what is the set up/ currecnt fuel system that'll be run on the 8-10 kit??...also you can pull timing to be safe as well to avoid detonation.....I will also be running a msd btm with retard function
stock TB, stock mass air, stock injectors, gt40 intake, stock fuel pump. stock heads/bottom end (rebuilt to 306/westcopistons prev. owner said)
stock ignition.

how low should i set the timing?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you could set base conservative, some friends have set theirs around 6-8 base, run the highest octane you have availible also to be safe, just make sure if using the fmu on the 8-10 kit you tell them the injectors you will be using , which are 19's so they send you the right disc for the the fmu, and iirc a boost a pump/t-rex pump is in the kit to help boost fuel delivery, as lond as you don't run the crap outta the car it'll be drivable until you can do the fuel system right
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you could set base conservative, some friends have set theirs around 6-8 base, run the highest octane you have availible also to be safe, just make sure if using the fmu on the 8-10 kit you tell them the injectors you will be using , which are 19's so they send you the right disc for the the fmu, and iirc a boost a pump/t-rex pump is in the kit to help boost fuel delivery, as lond as you don't run the crap outta the car it'll be drivable until you can do the fuel system right
okay thanks alot! Gonna order the kit tomorrow from summitracing. It comes to like 2815. And im gonna get the AC delete kit too. Any other things I need?

Should I get new autolite spark plugs? If so what kind? And any other little cheap things required? I'm gonna change the oil because I havent since I had the car. Should i check compression? It runs strong.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you could possibly go 1 step colder with the plugs........I like to error on the safe side....also may want to check superchargers online.com when I checked on that kit they were able to beat summits price with shipping, came to like 2760 iirc to my door
Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Keep your stock ignition(maybe upgrade your wires to some FRRP) and run a very "safe" base timing as MJ said. Make sure your kit has a 255lph fuel pump. Your stock 88lph can NOT keep up. Run Autolite 3924 spark plugs gapped at .030. You will be pretty close to maxing out your fuel system even with the small boost. A possible solution would be to run a methanol kit to cool your intake temps(thus reducing your chance of detonation with the iron heads) and to help make the most advantage of your fuel system. I like the AFM Mr. Freeze kit. It's easy to install and about $190. The next mod would be to pick up a boost gauge and a wideband meter(not the worthless $60 ones), but an actual wideband for around $200. The last thing you want to do is blow up your motor.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

I got autolite 24's? Are they okay? I ordered a new fuel filter, 8 autolite 24's, and a vortech v3 8-10lb kit, (which has the trex fuel pump.)

im looking up the methonol kit now, thanks yall!

Quick Reply: which superchargeR? Please help, with experience.