5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need advice on how to build my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Jonman20

Default Need advice on how to build my 5.0

This is my first mustang of my own and i need help on how to build it. Yes i am new and do not know to much but thats why i am asking for the knowledge of all the people who have been doing this for years.

Ok my problem is that i do not know what the best way to go about building my 5.0. I have a 1988 GT with 150,000 miles that is speed dentisy. It has 3.73's and cat pipes other then that it is stock. i have roughly around 4 grand to dump in to the engine and i dont know what i should spend my money on to gain a good bit of horsepower. I would like to keep my speed dentisy set up. I dont know if i should start with a crate engineor what i eventually would like to have more power then my brothers 1985 Gt. I would like to have anround 350hp. Is there anyone out there that could help me out or atleast point me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

This is one of those things you will get a lot of responses on. The biggest problem is your current engine and more notably it's history. 150,000 miles on an engine is usually a lot to decide that you want to take it well beyond it's stock limits. Even well maintained 5.0s (which are known for their longevity and ability to take abuse) have had issues with this. So here would be the best thing to do. It's going to be the most expensive but in the long run the best thing.

Buy a crate motor the the hp level you want. Buy a new transmission to take that hp/torque level you want.

The upside to this is that your motor and transmission will be brand new and made to run those new hp levels. You can then scrap/sell/do whatever you want to your old engine/tranny to recover a few bucks.

I don't know much about speed density but rest assured you will have to beef up the fuel system to take on the new hp levels. I'll let a more knowledgeable person fill you in on speed density.

Another good idea would be to buy new sensors. Certain sensors like the throttle position sensor, idle air control sensor, and egr sensors can cause stupid idle problems amongst other things when they fail. They don't cost very much money and are a good investment with a motor that has that many miles.

You're gonna get a lot of advice here so read what everybody has to say and choose your own route. But if I had the money to do my 5.0 again, what I listed is what I'd do, while more expensive than building your current motor yourself, it will save a sh*t ton of headache.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Jonman20

Thanks alot jthorn9! Do you have any on advise on what crate motors are the best?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

eh, if you buy a used long block off of craigslist, strip it down, have it honed and cleaned, then build up the motor with good parts, you can have a better more powerful motor for cheaper than a crate motor...

or just use your own block, the craigslist option is if you wanna keep driving it while you build a motor
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I have no direct advice as I've never bought one but I can give you some advice as to what to look for.

* Buy one from a reputable vendor (some of our site sponsors sell crate motors and would be good).
* Make sure they are warrantied against defect or failure
* Make sure they have a good reasonable return/exchange policy in case of defect
* If you buy from a 3rd party or a site other than our sponsors then do your homework and research cause there are a lot of engine builders out there but few that build quality motors.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Jonman20

Thanks guys. do u think it would be better to just buy a engine block at like a swap meet because i am going to one in a month
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

i would do a compression leak down test if motor checks out slap a supercharger on it call it a day. easy... or spend more money and buy a top end kit. there are many guys out there with more miles on there blocks. it all depends on how fast you want to go??? with leaving the block alone you will still have money left over.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

where at in ohio are you.i got a block taking up room in my garage
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Jonman20

I live in st.clairsville ohio and where can u buy top end kits ?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

with 150k on the clock, you should get a remanned shortblock.

50resto sells them for about $700.

After that, you could pick up a Holley or TFS top end kit from www.summitracing.com

Doing so will give you an engine that makes about 270-290rwhp, has 0 miles.. and will cost you less than the crate engine.

Quick Reply: Need advice on how to build my 5.0