5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

WORE OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default WORE OUT!!!

ugh, so tired!

I installed the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, clutchfork/throwout bearing, clutch cable, transmission, cross member, driveshaft, and exhaust all today, with no help. Everything cleaned up nice, routed nice, and torqued to spec.

took about 5 honest hours not including lunch, and a break or two.

Think I threw out my left sholder from putting the ol' T5 in by myself. My damn back, and everything all tore up and sore.

I feel accomplished, I always break up that much work into two days, and for once had time, and energy to knock it all out in a sitting.

Victor 5.0 EFI intake will be here this week to replace my old POS typhoon intake, and then the car should be back on the road. hopefully with about 20 more rear wheel horsepower thanks to the new rebuilt motor, and Victor intake.

just thought I would update you fella's.

how is everyone elses car's coming along? talk about some recent work you have done!

Rob
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Way to get her done !
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

good to hear nothing like killing yourself to get it done. How much longer till you are running? I finished up the bigger down pipe on our turbo car the wife's car. I have had back pressure issues for 2 years and think that is some of the reason for head gasket issues also so I went from a 3in to a 3.5in what a mess to make hoping it helps with spool and H/P and head gaskets. I just think I was asking to much of the 3in but that is what came with the kit. I got the same intake as you but for the 9.5 deck block the other day for the other car.Intake looks killer hope it works the same way.
Anyone else lets hear about your car.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Mine had the gas siphoned out of it the other day. I hope whoever did it used a clean hose.

I am interested in seeing how the Victor efi works out for you. They seem like pretty cool setups.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9redfox3
Way to get her done !
thanks!

Originally Posted by uedlose
good to hear nothing like killing yourself to get it done. How much longer till you are running? I finished up the bigger down pipe on our turbo car the wife's car. I have had back pressure issues for 2 years and think that is some of the reason for head gasket issues also so I went from a 3in to a 3.5in what a mess to make hoping it helps with spool and H/P and head gaskets. I just think I was asking to much of the 3in but that is what came with the kit. I got the same intake as you but for the 9.5 deck block the other day for the other car.Intake looks killer hope it works the same way.
haha, yea, I'm itching REAL bad to have my car back. I daily drive a 2000 focus, and its SO BORING!! haha.

hmm, your issues sound like it could be any number of things, warped head/block for the head gasket issues, you running studs I assume?

the bigger piping should help I assume, but I'm not a turbo guy, I like my horsepower in a bottle in the trunk

Yea I hope the victor looks good, I got it for $300, guy said he has been as fast as 9.20 in the 1/4 with it, and has some mild port work to the lower.

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
Mine had the gas siphoned out of it the other day. I hope whoever did it used a clean hose.

I am interested in seeing how the Victor efi works out for you. They seem like pretty cool setups.

hrm, I thought all foxbodies had screens in the filler neck so they couldn't get siphoned????

yea now that I have been looking into the victor intake you see them on a lot of fast cars. I think in the UPPER UPPER rpm's say 5000-6000 I will gain about 20hp, as I don't think the typhoon can keep up with my heads/cam, but A lot of people seem to think that they make you lose power on the lower end of the RPMS

which doesn't make sense to me, as more CFM normaly means more torque..... so we will see.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

oh and udlose, the car will be running by the end of the week I hope as long as the victor intake lines up.

Woody from ford strokers says on a couple forums that these intakes normally need some milling to get them to fit, So I am going to check the runners and be sure they line up well before I just throw it on there.

So if it needs some work to make it fit, it could be a while. but otherwise the rest of the car is ready to go!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
dontforgetthemarkVIII

302ARMY I was thinking you might be able to answer this one about my clutch since you replaced the throwout bearing and my research tells me that's what it is. I was never able to put it in first gear unless I was completely stopped, and in the past few months on the green light my clutch will slip on low rpm. it sounds like loud buzzing and even though its mostly in first gear it happens in second and third occasionally and its getting worse. Synchronizes? Throwout? Pilot? I dread bringing it to the shop cause I know their gonna rip me a new one.

2007 mUstang GT how do I post an image using the URL format we have here?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
dontforgetthemarkVIII

GOT IT!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

now you got me worried there is a screen floating around in my tank.

All I remember is filling up on the way to the dyno....wait....nm....that was on the first trip to the dyno

Anyways, I managed to blow a piston ring or something in mine. The car runs good when it is on the regular 93 octane gas tune. Car doesn't miss and halls *** but, it smokes a white oily smoke that smells like burnt motor oil. On the meth tune, it detonates like crazy. So the meth kit is coming off and the kb may be as well since I am getting tired of working on the car and not driving.

Seems like a read a post like that about victor intakes needing milling. Something about them being designed to be used with victor heads is the reason.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dontforgetthemarkVIII
302ARMY I was thinking you might be able to answer this one about my clutch since you replaced the throwout bearing and my research tells me that's what it is. I was never able to put it in first gear unless I was completely stopped, and in the past few months on the green light my clutch will slip on low rpm. it sounds like loud buzzing and even though its mostly in first gear it happens in second and third occasionally and its getting worse. Synchronizes? Throwout? Pilot? I dread bringing it to the shop cause I know their gonna rip me a new one.

2007 mUstang GT how do I post an image using the URL format we have here?

well man, I don't think I can help you out. I only know these old mustangs. Your mustang comes with a hydraulic clutch set up, so its got different parts.

throwout bearings make a chirping noise most the time when they are on there way out.

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
now you got me worried there is a screen floating around in my tank.

All I remember is filling up on the way to the dyno....wait....nm....that was on the first trip to the dyno

Anyways, I managed to blow a piston ring or something in mine. The car runs good when it is on the regular 93 octane gas tune. Car doesn't miss and halls *** but, it smokes a white oily smoke that smells like burnt motor oil. On the meth tune, it detonates like crazy. So the meth kit is coming off and the kb may be as well since I am getting tired of working on the car and not driving.

Seems like a read a post like that about victor intakes needing milling. Something about them being designed to be used with victor heads is the reason.

look it up mang, they all have screens to stop people from stealing your gas, most cars in the mid to late 80's got them because thats when everyone was stealing gas, lol.

yea sounds like you blew a ring. I still don't know jack crap about your car, you don't seem to post up much about it, or i just don't see anything, lol

Quick Reply: WORE OUT!!!