5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Notch Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Hey oatburner99, nice build thread. You got any pics of the axle swap. Although I see your car often LOL. Thinking about last Friday, we need to start planning another trip to the TAD.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes, yes we do. I am trying to get my new motor in first but if the time comes and I have the cash I will still run it how it is
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Looking good, keep up the nice work....
Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Ask and you shall receive:

Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Looks great Oats, but how did you get your wife to smile when new parts show up? I have an 88 notch with kinda the same look, makes me smile everytime. Are you sending it in for paint or are you gonna try it yourself? I did mine, well my name says it all. Keep the pictures coming.
I'm a very blessed man dude...wife is usually supportive of my hobby. Friend of mine is going to paint the car. Gonna look good when it's all said and done.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Default 3G 130 Amp Sn95 Alternator Upgrade

Well this mod if finally done. Didn't take too many pictures. I read thread after thread about this mod. Some people said do it this way, other's said this way. This is how I did mine. Pretty straight foreward if you ask me.

Dirty Engine Bay

As some of you (who have done this mod) have read you MIGHT have to notch out your alternator bracket. I had to on mine. Took a die grinder and dremel to grind mine down a bit. I borrow the pictures from another thread so you can see what you need to do:
BEFORE

AFTER

The top bolt hole on the fox is threaded (3/8) if I remember correctly. The 3g is not. With the 3g alternator, you can either put in a helicoil (3/8), or you can do what most people do and go get a 2in 3/8 bolt,lock washer and nut to bolt up the top of the alternator. The bottom mount retains the factory bolt

New 4gauge power wire going from the alternator to the start solenoid. Some threads were different than other's here. Some said put a waffle fuse, or a fusible link on your new hot wire going to the solenoid. Some said close to the alternator, some said close to the start solenoid. I chose to put it close to the alternator. Well after some looking around (2hrs) No-one around here had a fusible link. So I ended up putting a 140 Amp Circuit breaker in. 4gauge in, 4 gauge out. This way if something goes wrong and I blow a fuse I'm not paying $5 a fuse.

New 4 gauge wire:

Circuit Breaker:

Spliced Stator wire:

Belt Clearence:

That's pretty much it. Only other problem that I ran into was the pulley that was on my stock Fox 75 amp alternator was not the same size that was on my 3g alternator.My belt that I had wasn't big enough. So I ended up just changing out the belt.

This mod is leading up to this:
Taurus Fan

Picked up thisNew Shifter ****, with a "modified shift handle" also.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

For those who are wondering........

modified handle= stock t5 shift handle that has been cut and shortened by about an inch and welded back together.....

Looks good Eric! I almost snatched up a 3g while I was out today but decided I would later.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i had a 3g laying around for a few years then i threw it out about a year before i got my mustang.i said to myself that i would never use it.i wish i would have held onto it for just a little bit longer now.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

dont make it any faster.....you got nittos

looks good though, unfortunately people try to say the nittos last longer and are as good as the mickey's

thats like saying a white castle is just like an angus filet
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
dont make it any faster.....you got nittos

looks good though, unfortunately people try to say the nittos last longer and are as good as the mickey's

thats like saying a white castle is just like an angus filet
:

I have had no problems with my nitto's. The car doesn't make 600+ hp, so I'm not worried about blowing the tire's off. I've had them at the track, and did pretty darn good for a cheap tire. If I want to get some serious times at the track I'll buy a set of slicks. I know they aren't as good as Mickey's. I've had a set of ET's. These aren't anywhere near that.

Quick Reply: My Notch Build