5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Notch Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Default My Notch Build

The car is a 1990 LX 5.0 with a 5spd. It actually is a canadian model so everything is in kilometers.
The car is a true 5.0 coupe also. It has 135,000 miles on it and was obviously babied most of it's life. When I got the car the only thing that had been done to it was a set of flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers and a set of FRPP shorty headers. Since I've had the car, I've put a short belt on, installed a offroad H-pipe,and a set of 2 Chamber flows. I've also installed a FRPP aluminum driveshaft, along with a Pro 5.0 short throwshifter. Not soon after that I picked up a complete 8.8 rear end with 3.55 gears installed in it. Well being the car originally had 2.73's, they had to go. So in went the 3.55's and oh my god what a difference. It totally woke the car up. I know some of you are going to ask why the hell does a LX coupe have a Gt front end on it. Well the previous owner aparently had a fender bender, and this is what was put on. I like it and like the fact that i Have fog lights for when it's crappy outside.

So the bad. I blew the clutch up. So after some quick reactions. I was back on the road. Now the paint. Well the Texas sun has not been nice to this car. It has massive amounts of clear coat that is peeling. So that leaves me to painting the car here before to long.

Some goodies:
Picked these up from Justin:

Picked these up, gonna get em cleaned up and roll on them for a little bit,
till I get a set of 5 lug cobra's...well actually 2 sets...

Last edited by oatburner99; 06-09-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Got the big and lils on the coupe. Picked these up from SVO, spent HOURS and HOURS polishing these. Still have a long way to go, but they at least are sealed up for now. This wheel and tire combo totally changed the look, feel of the car. Really happy with them. Thanks JEFF!

Here's what they looked like...PRE-POLISH

I apologize in advance for the dirty car....there was no way in hell I'm washing it in 30 degree weather with a 15 mph wind.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

well got rid of the big and littles to pay for new tires that are going on these:

These should show up Monday....

Nitto NT555's
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Got some more goodies today.....wife helped...LOL

Found a little monkey taking up residency:

Little bit mo meat

Got almost all the parts I need for my 5lug conversion:
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm just a little bit closer.....here's something for ya'll to chew on.....wheel setup will be going on this weekend :P

Pics will be posted as soon as I get more :P
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Well got the wife to take pictures of the coupe after the 5 lug swap. She's not happy with the pictures at all, so we're going to try again tomorrow. Anyway here's the ones she took.

Camera= Canon Rebel XTI

Car is going to paint shortly...and eibach's are in it's VERY near future...4x4 option was made more obvious after the wheels swap...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I like it! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Please keep the pictures coming as you make progress with the car.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Too bad about the wheels lol! I just dont like the cobra wheels on anything! on another note I have seen a few notchs with the entire GT kit and they look great imo. I would never give up weight for shinny! plus good rubber for bittos, you have taken steps in both directions but to each his own!

I know what you mean on the gears feeling awesome over the stock set!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Looks great Oats, but how did you get your wife to smile when new parts show up? I have an 88 notch with kinda the same look, makes me smile everytime. Are you sending it in for paint or are you gonna try it yourself? I did mine, well my name says it all. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Too bad about the wheels lol! I just dont like the cobra wheels on anything! on another note I have seen a few notchs with the entire GT kit and they look great imo. I would never give up weight for shinny! plus good rubber for bittos, you have taken steps in both directions but to each his own!

I know what you mean on the gears feeling awesome over the stock set!
The front clip is going back to LX...hate the GT front end on a notch...should be sacrilegious...LOL

well the cobra wheels are the lightest that were ever produced, so I'm not worried about the weight. As far as the nitto's they have been really good. Being my car is my DD it does pretty good.

Quick Reply: My Notch Build