5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

3G

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default 3G

I recently replaced my tensioner pulley thinking that was the pulley that was squeeking. Well it wasn't, but the old pulley did feel like it needed replaced anyhow.

All my pulleys spin fine so I don't know which one is squeeling. So I plan to replace each one until I find the problem. I can't replace the alternator pulley alone because no one seems to have just the pulley. A brand new alternator is $80 assuming I give them my working alternator. A brand new 3G for a 95 GT is $109.

So I am thinking about getting a used 3G and keeping my current alternator as a back up. Stock alternator is 75 amp vs. the 3G which is 130 amp so it seems like a logical swap. This way I get to upgrade to the 3G and eliminate the alternator pulley as the culprit for the squeeling.

I read somewhere else that to use the 3G you may have to shim it. If I can find a used 3G at a pick n pull what exactly does the shimming consist of exactly? How do I go about doing this to ensure all pulleys line up correctly (if needed at all)?

Also do I need the wiring plug with the 3G?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you dont shim it, you need to grind the fox bracket to fit it properly.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Good, less of a hassle. Are most 3G's 130 amp or do some models have higher amps such as police cars? If so do you got any idea which ones? We have a ton of salvage yards around here so I shouldn't have a problem finding several to choose from.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

all the same, unless its modified by a specialty shop
Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why not try a new belt first, I've had tons of belts be the cause of squeaks...even new ones right out of the box..hit the belt with some pb blaster = a small squirt while it rotates, if it stops = belt squeak
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
why not try a new belt first, I've had tons of belts be the cause of squeaks...even new ones right out of the box..hit the belt with some pb blaster = a small squirt while it rotates, if it stops = belt squeak
Believe me I always start with the simple stuff I bought a new belt first because the old one did look bad so it needed done anyhow. That did not fix the squeek so I decided to replace the tensioner pulley. Well that didn't fix it either.

I'm certain it has to be a pulley because it sounds like the front of the engine. All pulleys spin freely so the only thing I know to do is start replacing them until I find the problem.

The alternator pulley could be the cause but I can't replace just it and its not hard to just replace the whole unit so I might as well do it.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

The pulley itself is not going to squeak. It's going to be the bearings in w/e accessory is causing it. That could get expensive. Invest in a stethoscope and listen to each one. That should help narrow it down.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ive had much luck with WD40 or PBlaster sprayed through the little red straw in VERY short bursts... if you can get it directly into the bearing area, itll usually quiet the noise.

DO NOT SPRAY YOUR ALTERNATOR!!!!