5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

rear brake lights got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Default rear brake lights got a ticket

Turns out people behing me cant see my break lights during the day.... but at night its fine... im thinking my bulbs need replacing or lenses too dark... but i put new bulbs in rear tail lights blinkers reverse lights... i even used lense cleaner and still you cant make out breaklights in the daylight. Well 2 day i got a ticket for it.... should i buy new housings?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Are the lenses and bulbs factory or factory replacements? If so then maybe you could fight the tickets cause the car met federal standards when produced.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

He lives in Jersey man......you can't do anything over there!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Doesnt matter where he lives. State law cant overrule federal standards from manufacture date.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Yea im fighting the ticket i got a video... u can see them right ip on them but more rhen 5 ft away ya cant make them out. Bulbs from napa.... but yea something has to be dun about rear lights... i was thinking of going clear smoked from ebay or azellta lights
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

Just get new stock ones and don't worry about them anymore! Not worth smoking factory lights!!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The problem may stem from a weak charging system and not the lenses or bulbs. Presumably when you're on the brake, you're not on the gas. If you have a typical fox alternator, the amperage output at idle is dismally low, especially when you have a series of high powered bulbs drawing from it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

If you have any kind of smoke/darkening on the lens it will not pass a safety check. It is basically up to the officer whether or not they want to write you up.
Light specs are federal (OEM) but enforcement is local.

Best you can do is replace the lenses with OEM units and bring proof to the judge, claim you purchased the car that way and you didn't know it was a problem.
Some jurisdictions will allow you to go in and prove you made the repairs and the cops will drop the charge without going to court. You will have to call the ticketing police dept and ask if they will allow that. Iv'e done that before for equipment violations.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you have anything other than a DOT approved lens (like OEM or an OEM direct replacement) in the back it's illegal on the street, so they can ticket you. Tinted/smoked are illegal in all 50 states for street use.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
If you have anything other than a DOT approved lens (like OEM or an OEM direct replacement) in the back it's illegal on the street, so they can ticket you. Tinted/smoked are illegal in all 50 states for street use.
Florida statute's only requirement is that the taillights must emit a red light visible from 1000 feet away, doesnt say anything about tinting material being applied.

Quick Reply: rear brake lights got a ticket