5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Default What a difference!

Last week my gas tank started leaking so I got a new one from late model. I swapped it out today and found an old fuel pump strainer and a float for the sending unit in the old tank lol. I put a new fuel pump strainer...the one on it was very dirty! I also cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump cause it had tons of crap on it. And threw in a new fuel filter while I was at it. Got it all back together and took it out for a drive and it felt like it had a lot more power! Not sure if it's all in my mind since I havnt drove it in over a week but it just felt like a totally different car. Makes me kind of happy that I had to replace the tank lol
Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default What a difference

Stalker, I like your style. I have always pounded into my pit crews head the importance of "preventive maintenance." Some people will tell you it is a waste of money. I lost a championship at the 1967 Nationals because the crew member in charge of the fuel delivery system took it for granted the fuel filter was all right. You dropped the tank and went through the whole system.
Lack of maintenance has cost countless racers their chance for glory. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:38 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Thank you Buck, it's amazing what the little things will do to a car when it comes to performance. Might as well do things right the first time!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thats cool. I wouldnt think about beyond a fuel filter replacement for maintenance stuff on the gasoline side but not a bad idea if a car is 20+ years old to think about dropping the tank and sh*t.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:35 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I couldn't believe all that crap was in the tank, it was the original tank so I guess 28 years will do that lol
Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

STALKER, you have put together a very impressive ride. You mentioned a Tremec TKO. Please give me your feedback/impression of this tranny. Also, is it a Tremec TKO-500 or a Tremec TKO-600???
Anyones feedback would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

It's a tko 600, I think it's great! It shifts really smooth and I know I won't blow it up any time soon lol it was a night and day difference compared to a t-5
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

My daily driver is a 2011 f-150 limited with the 6.2, I'd love to throw that in my mustang! Has anyone heard of anybody putting a 6.2 in a mustang?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

STALKER, thanks for the quick reply. Just what I was thinking. Our 1987, 331 stroker, is in line and it will now be receiving a TKO-500.
As for the 6.2. Weight is the limiting factor. I have not heard of any engine swaps of this nature. The trick setup lately is putting the COYOTE in anything with wheels. Up north,my old crowd is putting the COYOTE in Camaros and boxed Novas. Great conversion. I was thinking of going in the other direction and putting a 383 stroker in our Foxbody. Don't mind me, sometimes I get a little crazy. Good going with your nice ride.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

I've seen a few foxbody's around here with the coyote swap. I would love to do it if I had the money. I have a friend with a foxbody that has a NASCAR motor in it...running 9's in the 1/4 mile and that's just all motor. He's pretty well known at New England dragway