5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New to mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Xpress

Default New to mustangs...

And I haven't even bought one yet

Anyways, I took a ride in a buddies 5.0 today (had a carb, don't know the year) and instantly fell in love with it. I have always loved Mustangs, but never this much. So my partially impulsive self has decided to start doing research on which model to get.

So, what model should I be after? I would like to do some bolt on mods to get more performance/power out of it, but mainly keep it is a daily driver. Which leads to my next question... What's the mpg for these?

Surely it can't be as bad as my Jeep, which gets a stellar 11mpg I've seen some stuff about them getting about 18 in the city, 22 on the highway?

I'm not a heavy footed driver either (I'm sure you've heard that before)...
Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 AM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

Well first off, and most of us can agree, once you buy a stang, your foot will be in it ALL THE TIME.

What model you want really depends on preference. V6 is gonna give you a quick car that gives you decent gas mileage and has a lot of room for improvement. GT or V8 is gonna give you that classic stang sound and feel. You're gonna get a well performed car stock that can be made into a beastly high performance vehicle if you're willing to spend the money. GTs gas mileage varies a lot depending on what mods you choose or if you want to stay close to stock, like any car. Then you have your high performance out of the factory models such as Cobras, terminators, GT500s, etc. These are the most expensive of the family, but worth it if you use it right.

Personally, I won't buy a Mustang that doesn't have a V8. when you think of a mustang, you think of a fast, loud, flashy car, and that's what you'll get with a GT. Slap a good aftermarket exhaust system on it and you'll be turning heads at every intersection.

Hope this kind of helped, anyone on this forum can help you with the decision, we all started somewhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I would get an 88-93 LX Notchback 5.0. They still had forged pistons, they are cleaner looking (IMO), and they weigh less then the GT's. The aftermarket parts are cheap, most of the older 5.0 are cheap to buy, and if you have a budget that is the way to go. I have owned a stock 5.0, and a heavily modded 5.0 and loved both. You have to figure out what you like and then go find it. Took me 4 years to find my SS but I did.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

I would say 88-92 mustang 5.0 or 03-04 mustang 4.6 five speed !

Last edited by 9redfox3; 08-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKiller
I would get an 88-93 LX Notchback 5.0. They still had forged pistons, they are cleaner looking (IMO), and they weigh less then the GT's.
+1 but note that '93's ARE NOT forged pistons, and i would also look into a 4eye notch as well.

you can get the best of both worlds with an '86, fuel injected 4-eye

'85 is carb'd, unless it's an automatic, but you wanna stay far far away from ANY "AOD" automatic mustang

i have knocked down 21 mpg with 4.10 gears, it's ALL about how you drive it
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Welcome to MF. Was your friends 5.0 a NEW one or a FOX body? I rather enjoy my FOX and since completing my full exhaust it sounds awesome. I get complements on the way it sounds all the time now. Post pics of what you decide to get.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'd look for an early 4-eye type Mustang.
You may be looking for awhile to find a nice clean one but they are out there.
I'd also avoid any and all AOD tranny's.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Xpress

Originally Posted by TexasTanker19kilo20
Welcome to MF. Was your friends 5.0 a NEW one or a FOX body? I rather enjoy my FOX and since completing my full exhaust it sounds awesome. I get complements on the way it sounds all the time now. Post pics of what you decide to get.
This:

There are a couple in the area I have been eyeing. One is an 89, but the owner says there's a lot of problems with it (won't pass smog, runs like crap, ect.- want's $1500) and I figured I would pick that up as a donor vehicle to swap engine/trans/wiring harness/rear axle into the Heep. What rear axles did these come with? Looks like they have 8.8's...

Then there's a few others around the $3000 price range I have been eyeing. Of course I want the 5.0. It just doesn't speak Mustang to me if it doesn't have 8 cylinders and that classic sound. Also of course it's going to be a manual. Automatics just don't cut it for me, they feel boring, and I feel less connected to the vehicle.

What kind of power can you turn out of a mostly stock engine, with just the bolts ons like intake, carb, exhaust, ect?

The more and more I think about this the more and more I want one
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
+1 but note that '93's ARE NOT forged pistons, and i would also look into a 4eye notch as well.

you can get the best of both worlds with an '86, fuel injected 4-eye

'85 is carb'd, unless it's an automatic, but you wanna stay far far away from ANY "AOD" automatic mustang

i have knocked down 21 mpg with 4.10 gears, it's ALL about how you drive it
Your right Bob, it was late and I mis-typed. I agree with the four eye comment too. I would personally stay away from an AOD car as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Xpress

So what would a fair price be to pay for a relatively stock vehicle? Considering stuff goes for cheap out here...

Quick Reply: New to mustangs...