5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 Fox body ac help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM
savage10

Default 88 Fox body ac help

Air blows through the winshield vents on top of the dash, but doesnt blow out the vents or floor when you change it with the ****. What might cause it to not change to different settings? Pulled the ac off the car back in 2000. Now im trying to get the ac back on the car and im working from scratch because I didnt keep anything. Would also be helpful if anybody had some info or pics of the factory brackets to mount the power steering pump back in the stock location. I moved it up by the head with the relocation bracket kit from Ford years ago and now I cant remember what the stock stuff looks like. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

vaccum line that goes through the firewall by the evaporator fittings needs to be traced for a break, often they break out under the hood, line connects to vaccum tree on firewall. default when no vaccum exists is defrost.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
savage10

Hey man thanks, ill see what I can find when I get a chance. Been to hot here in Texas to do much of anything outside especially after working out in it all day. Will get back tho when I get a chance to check it out.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
savage10

Well tell you what I did. Had two guages in the dash where the center vents go, been like that for yrs. So I found my old vents and was putting them back and noticed the trap door about 6 inches down into the duct. Turn air on and it blows through the defrost vents. Push that trap door open and it blows through the vents like there suppost to. I dont have alot of patience trying to trace problems down so I just removed that door My question is even know thats not the best way to fix the problem, when I get the ac put back on the car it should atleast blow cold air through it now right? Got a kit coming from cj pony parts and have bought the brackets I need on ebay so Im getting real close.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by savage10
Well tell you what I did. Had two guages in the dash where the center vents go, been like that for yrs. So I found my old vents and was putting them back and noticed the trap door about 6 inches down into the duct. Turn air on and it blows through the defrost vents. Push that trap door open and it blows through the vents like there suppost to. I dont have alot of patience trying to trace problems down so I just removed that door My question is even know thats not the best way to fix the problem, when I get the ac put back on the car it should atleast blow cold air through it now right? Got a kit coming from cj pony parts and have bought the brackets I need on ebay so Im getting real close.
i TOLD YOU how to trace the vaccum line, takes less then a few minutes
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

How hard is this to understand?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
savage10

Im a lil slow lol. Will it blow the cold ac air now? or will the outside recirculate door let hot outside air in? And if so where in the car is the outside recirculate door located? Really thank you for the help man.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
savage10

Ok just answered my own question. Looks like with no vacuum it will be open which is no good. Where is the outside recirculate door actually located in the car Ill just manully shut it. Even kno I went about fixin it the wrong way, u still have helped me out tremendously. The schematic and all. Its just been so dam hot this summer in texas I just want cold air and dont care how I get it. Ill just close that door and be done with it. Where is it located?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

recirculate is in the a/c max position, fresh air is in the norm position
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 PM
savage10

When I look at the scehmatic it shows that when no vacuum exist that the outside recirculate door is open, which means that it would let hot outside air in? Since I dont have the patience to properly trouble shoot, I was going to just manually close that door. Since I dont have vacuum do I need to close the recirculate door and if so where exactly is it located. I see what your saying that under normal ac it uses the outsde air and under max it closes the trap to use the air already in the car. So I need to physically close the outside recirculate door in order to take full advantage of the max ac position? Thanks again man.

Last edited by savage10; 08-28-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: more detail

Quick Reply: 88 Fox body ac help