5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1991 Mustang LX leaks fuel through drivers side exhaust

Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
mrsjcc0312

Angry 1991 Mustang LX leaks fuel through drivers side exhaust

We have this 91 Stang, 5.0 LX, leaking fuel from the drivers side exhaust. The fuel injectors have been tested, new spark plugs and wires have been installed. The mechanic suspects that a valve might be bad. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

JC
Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what do you mean fuel is leaking through the driver side exhaust?? details please.....what the mech suggests has me questioning alot!!!! is the car running rough?? where in VA are you??
Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 PM
lethe

i have a hard time believing raw fuel could made it all the way through the exhaust. any raw fuel making it out of the combustion chamber would evaporate long before making it out the back of the car.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by lethe
i have a hard time believing raw fuel could made it all the way through the exhaust. any raw fuel making it out of the combustion chamber would evaporate long before making it out the back of the car.
Don't be so sure. I have seen injectors hang wide open and drip though the connections of the exhaust.

As for the bent valve, not buying it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If he has seen it, I guess it is possible. Just do an injector balance test or take a stethoscope and listen to them.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mrsjcc0312
The mechanic suspects that a valve might be bad. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

JC
I suggest if you're close to me, bring it to me, their are tests to verify valve issues, no mechanic should suspect if he has run a test to verify nor should he tear into the motor based on a "suspicion" compression and leakdown tests should be done to erase and doubts and if such are done a mech won't "suspect" he will know
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
mrsjcc0312

Originally Posted by mjr46
what do you mean fuel is leaking through the driver side exhaust?? details please.....what the mech suggests has me questioning alot!!!! is the car running rough?? where in VA are you??
We live in Hampton. And yes, there is actual fuel coming from the tail pipe on the drivers side. It's running really rich too. Kinda seems strange to me that the fuel isn't burning off, that's why we replaced the spark plugs and wires to make sure they were burning correctly. We don't wanna spend a lot to fix this (only because we don't have a lot to spend...lol), but we do need to get this car running.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

If you have one, an infrared thermometer pointed at each of the drivers side header pipes will tell you which cylinder(s) is having issues with burning fuel. A cold pipe means the cylinder isn't burning.

They're like $30 at a parts/hardware store
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mrsjcc0312
We live in Hampton. And yes, there is actual fuel coming from the tail pipe on the drivers side. It's running really rich too. Kinda seems strange to me that the fuel isn't burning off, that's why we replaced the spark plugs and wires to make sure they were burning correctly. We don't wanna spend a lot to fix this (only because we don't have a lot to spend...lol), but we do need to get this car running.
bummer , I'm an hr north of DC, no need to throw parts at a car guessing, you troubleshoot and if a mech those parts at that in an attempt to fix, run!!! cause what this tells me is he hasn't a clue how to troubleshoot nor has the equipment to run tests to verify a prob, if you were closer, in and hr or two I'd have the prob figured/narrowed down to the issue without throwing parts at it.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 AM
lethe

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Don't be so sure. I have seen injectors hang wide open and drip though the connections of the exhaust.

As for the bent valve, not buying it.
i can see it possibly leaking from the collector, i was talking more about from the end of the tail pipe itself though. The OP seems pretty sure its fuel coming out so i guess i could be wrong, theres plenty of stuff in the automotive world i havent seen yet so anything is possible

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Mustang LX leaks fuel through drivers side exhaust