Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
yurizx6r
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 93, Ford, Mustang
Default GT 40 Intake Manifold

I am considering swapping out the stock intake manifold for the GT 40. I heard from somebody to "make sure it's original because the new remakes don't give you as much horse power." I also heard something about watch out for the type of metal that it is made from (for whatever reason, I'm not sure). Basically, I have a 90 Mustang GT, and I don't know what to look for. I was told that a certain year Explorer will fit. I would like to know what do I need to look for, what type will work (are there different types besides remakes and original?), and a general crash course of information. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've never done this before and I want to get everything properly prepared and right.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
yurizx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 notch

all of what u heard is correct.

there are multiple types of gt40 style intakes.

1) real gt40, offered first as ford motorsport only piece, not on anything but then on the 351 lightnings, this is the good one to get, tubular separate runners and looks sexy. it's what i use to this day even tho some will say it's ancient technology. only downside is the upper cannot be ported (but you dont need to with a smallblock anyways)
FYI, that cover with the pony sells for $300 alone sometimes. hard to get but not necessary...cosmetic only usually the whole intake is about $500

Click the image to open in full size.

2) cobra intake, same lower as the "real" gt40 but with a cast upper. same specs, no tubular runners but the good lower. found as aftermarket and all 302 cobras

then there is the crappy gt40p from the explorers. they look a lot like cobra's
but the runners are much smaller and u need to tap for the temp sensor or oil sender 1 of the 2

what you want is a lower with a "-AA" suffix in part number by the cutout near the dizzy
The BA is .96"x1.65" and the AA is 1.00" x 1.80"

the metal issue is probably referring to the fact all the newer "cobra" intakes are made in china. hence crappier quality

i believe i covered whats important

nitrous oxide is proof there is a GOD and he wants us to be happy
nitrous_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

oh a few things i forgot to mention...

real 40 you need a egr spacer but the cobra is part of it so you dont.

and where i was going with the porting thing... is that a cobra you CAN port. but like i said....on a smallblock, a real 40 with a ported lower will give you all the air you need.

for any naysayers.... look up "dukeme" dyno thread on a tubular 40 , 580 rwhp (and it's calypso too)

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...ot-dynoed.html

Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
yurizx6r
2nd Gear Member

Besides tapping the holes, what is the downside to the GT 40P's? It may be much easier and cheaper for me to get ahold of one of those... unless you know of a good way to get one without spending a boatload of money. Also, is the performance the same (or at least good) for the GT 40P?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurizx6r View Post
Besides tapping the holes, what is the downside to the GT 40P's?
other than the small ports creating poor performance ....i guess nothing

Quote:
Also, is the performance the same (or at least good) for the GT 40P?
compared to the stock intake you already have ?? id guess it to be about equal. compared to real gt40 or cobra ? well i wouldnt use one if you gave one to me, i'll leave it at that

Quote:
... unless you know of a good way to get one without spending a boatload of money.
how cheap are you looking ??? cobra's are $300 used, if thats too much save for nitrous. and FYI if your not doing heads...you wont gain 5 hp with ANY intake you buy. you dont need one til after about 275-300 hp, the stocker is just fine

Last edited by nitrous_bob; 10-26-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
yurizx6r
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for your input. I guess I will look for the Cobra.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i just got a tubular gt40 intake so i can clean up the bay and delete the egr stuff. i origianlly had a cobra intake. just like the second pic. if anyone is interested ill sell it.

Christie - 1967 Fastback 302 5.0 fuel injected restomod.
djsprinklesnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1996, 50gt40intake, 93, explorer, fist, ford, gt40, intake, lower, manifold, notch, on, sale, same, tubular