5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I got greedy UPDATE 3/19 it's home!!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default I got greedy UPDATE 3/19 it's home!!

Well, today was T&T at our local track and I had debated all week whether or not to run my 89 vert, since it had no tune and was running 24 lb inj, FMU full h/c/i and all bolt ons and t-trim with 12 psi and a boost retard, I knew it was a risk to run it. This race season has been dismal for me in the fact, I've only made it out once before back in April and this was my second time out, with my 85 being down due to HG blow, the 89 was my only choice, so friday I said the heck with it and sent my wife out to pick up some 100 octane and I mounted my drag radials up and headed for the track this morning, I met a friend there with his 92 turbo stang sporting an on3 kit. My goal was to run him and beat him with my 89 and the s/c that is on it that used to belong to him. The first run I ran against a turbo supra (sorry no vid) anyway, I did my burnout then lined up and launched hard and it hooked well and man it pulled hard and kept pulling smoothly, so I stayed in it the whole way and to my suprise it ran an 11.69 @ 119.59 to the supra's 12.12 @116.34. needless to say I was happy until I saw that my boost retard **** was sitting on 0...CRAP!!! it is located right by my right knee and I often have hit it and hits the dial the wrong way.......well the car seemed to run fine still...so no harm right?? 2nd time up I was paired against the same supra, this time I made sure the boost retard was set at 1.5* per lb of boost and I make 12 psi, this time the car launched it felt sluggish and the supra was starting to pull up on me and by the time we hit the traps he was 1 car in front....I was like wtf?? did turning the retard up affect it that much?? it only ran a 12.33 @ 113.35 to the supra's 12.35 @114.7...but more so something didn't feel right on the run, so the third and final run I turned the boost retard back down to almost 0....lol yeah I'm the retard here!! This time I was paired with my friends 92, I wasn't about to let him win and he turned his boost up as well, Anyway, I launched and it spun some but it pulled hard in first and second and part of third, but after the 1/8th I started dumping smoke out the tailpipes and by the 1000 foot it looked like a locomotive barreling down the track and litterally fell on it's face, evident by the 12.12 @108 to my friends 12.59 @ 117.36..... while I did cross the line before him, I lost Imo since my car died!! it literally coasted to the end of the track and I had it towed back to the pits....and my friend graciously took me to pick my rollback up as well as he later took me home...thanks Matt!!! anyway vids of run number 2 and my mishap vid 3........looks as if I may of blown a head gasket or more?? we'll see!! lol

run 2:
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=DSCN3582.mp4

run 3 hg blow :
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=DSCN3584.mp4

Last edited by mjr46; 11-12-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You cooked something that time.
Is the engine frozen or will it turn over?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by tinman
You cooked something that time.
Is the engine frozen or will it turn over?
as I crossed the traps I let out of it and it ran briefly but as soon as I let off the gas it died, most likely due to all the coolant that is probably in a cylinder/s , it's not locked up, I don't want to turn it over if their is a bunch of coolant in the cylinders, either way the motor is coming out to address some other things as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

That sucks! Good times the 1st run though!

Good thing the winter is just around the corner lol
Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by projectresto83
That sucks! Good times the 1st run though!

Good thing the winter is just around the corner lol
I had planned to pull the motor at the first of the year due to oil pressure issues and oil loose, 1 qt every 800 miles
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well now you have more of a reason lol
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

lol, that sucks.

as far as the timing, a few degrees can really make a difference. Every half we added to mine on the dyno made I think around 10 hp difference. When we quit adding timing, it had picked up more hp than it did the last pull we raised it. My tuner said, "I think it is about done." We added another half and it gained like 12 hp instead of 10....

I would definantly take the plugs out to get any antifreeze that maybe in the cylinders if it is going to sit a while. And of course you know not to bend a rod trying it with a lot of water on pistons.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
lol, that sucks.

as far as the timing, a few degrees can really make a difference. Every half we added to mine on the dyno made I think around 10 hp difference. When we quit adding timing, it had picked up more hp than it did the last pull we raised it. My tuner said, "I think it is about done." We added another half and it gained like 12 hp instead of 10....

I would definantly take the plugs out to get any antifreeze that maybe in the cylinders if it is going to sit a while. And of course you know not to bend a rod trying it with a lot of water on pistons.
oh the motor hopefully will be out and apart by next weekend........before it hits the track again, the 24's will be switched out, maf changed, fmu ditched and tuned on a dyno
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Nice runs, but something is definitely amiss. Good luck on your winter project. I hope you have heat in the garage!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

some of us got to learn the hard way LOL LOL. I too learn the hard way LOL. after awhile you will get them heads off and on in your sleep..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got greedy UPDATE 3/19 it's home!!