5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Computer Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

AdderMK2, what's wrong with CBAZA? I have it and it works just fine with my mods (see my sig). I've heard people saying it's difficult to tune but I don't see how...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
GUFx can handle what he's got. CBAZA is a different story.

OP, go get the car tuned.
I have No idea what GUFx and CBAZA, and I mean Im sure to get some result from getting it tuned right? If anybody knows a good place to go in Southern California that will hook up the military Let me know!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What size MAF? Did you upgrade the injectors just to do so or because of the nitrous? There is no reason why your car can't run just fine without it being tuned.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 95_gtskunk
Im having issues with my sn95, recently installed a E303 cam and a trickflow intake with spacer. Got the bigger MAF from bbk and 24lb injectors and a 70mm throttle body and an MSD pro billet distributor.
Originally Posted by projectresto83
What size MAF? Did you upgrade the injectors just to do so or because of the nitrous? There is no reason why your car can't run just fine without it being tuned.
I see a few reasons for it to be tuned... The E303 will cause some surging issues due to the event timing vs the cars injector timing. The GT ECM isnt really setup very well in that regard.

Secondly, I have gone over this time and time again. Calibrated MAF's are the ****ing devil! To top it off, BBK can't even make a TB that doesn't whistle, or an intake manifold that fits correctly... So you really think they got the MAF right?

Third, Having a calibrated MAF doesnt do **** for the car during crank and startup. Especially since the ECM doesnt even poll the MAF for the first few seconds of running. So you have a car whos cam has more overlap, causing more unburnt fuel to be spewed out the exhaust during the early degrees of the intake stroke... running a fuel delivery system that is dumping too much fuel, and a MAF that is only marginal on the quality meter...

But none of this makes you think that the car needs a tune? Maybe I should just stick to the my customers that pay me because they know that I'm not wrong, and not telling them lies.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I agree with you on the BBK stuff lol

Nope, it needs the correctly matched parts. Would a tune make it run smoother? Yea probably. But I would spend the money on a different cam and not a tune.

Truthfully, I would take the 24lb injectors off and put the 19lbs back in since you really don't need them. (nitrous is another topic, but speaking for the issue you are having) Then with that obviously the MAF would need to be removed.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

Its a 76mm MAF. I didnt realize that BBK sucked that badly, thats really depressing! I am running nitrous 100 shot so that is why I bought the 24lb injectors and THOUGHT I was doing the right thing by buying a larger "calibrated" MAF. So what the heck do I do now? And That would explain why my car is Very fumey with raw fuel out the exhaust I swear if I put a flame thrower kit on her she will bark flames. Will getting a tune fix my fuel issues or is that a whole separate issue?? I know you guys are very knowledgable and I really appreciate it!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

A tune will help solve your issues and overall is beneficial instead of buying more parts. The calibrated MAF works BUT it is only fooling the computer. While they work ok on foxes the SN computer is a little more finicky with stuff like that.

How big of a shot are you using?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

Well I have it set up for a 75 shot but would like to push it to a 100 shot max. I was on Americanmuscle.com and they have an SCT 4-bank eliminator chip with 3 free custom tunes. Is anybody familiar with this or purchased this item? Or should I go another route?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You should be fine with the 19lb injectors with that size shot.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 95_gtskunk
Well I have it set up for a 75 shot but would like to push it to a 100 shot max. I was on Americanmuscle.com and they have an SCT 4-bank eliminator chip with 3 free custom tunes. Is anybody familiar with this or purchased this item? Or should I go another route?
dyno tune. dont even bother wasting your time with an AM cookie cutter chip.

Quick Reply: Computer Tuning