5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

RUH ROH

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

From having a kenne bell, I can tell you that that it takes a lot of horsepower to drive one of those types of blowers. I know they are different if design but, thats not my point. The extra rotating mass robs power. I still feel with your set-up you could hit the mark of 400 pretty easily. The torque is something else though. Mine made almost 500 lbs of torque at like 2 grand while the hp was at 390 with 6lbs of boost. I had gt40p heads and you have a way flowing better head so your numbers should be way better.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

302army187, I know they make good power. That much is without question. I was talking about exactly how much power they are capable of tho. Anyway, that setup looks pretty awesome and it would def be one of a kind. Haha, and that's the only kind of hybrid I would drive!! I'd like to see the finished product...good luck!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Sounds like you've done your research and have your ducks in a row. I can't wait to see what that M112 does on your application.

What are you doing for cooling mods? You thought about meth or anything?
thanks bud.

For cooling mod's I've got a lot of ideas, but no real plans, haha.

Most simple would be using a small shot of nitrous, a dry shot, and use it only for the track. Meth is a option, but to me its the same hassle as nitrous was.

A ghetto redneck way to cool it would be to put my stock hood back on, and just cut a giant hole in it, so the blower sticks out, and gets cooled by the air rushing over it.

I would like to rig up a air/air intercooler, but not sure how that will work. I guess you could rig piping to a intercooer, and put a filter on the other side, but that seems like a hell of a distance for it to try and pull air from.

really, nitrous or meth seems the most logical at the moment.

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
From having a kenne bell, I can tell you that that it takes a lot of horsepower to drive one of those types of blowers. I know they are different if design but, thats not my point. The extra rotating mass robs power. I still feel with your set-up you could hit the mark of 400 pretty easily. The torque is something else though. Mine made almost 500 lbs of torque at like 2 grand while the hp was at 390 with 6lbs of boost. I had gt40p heads and you have a way flowing better head so your numbers should be way better.
400 pretty easy? I'm at 330 or so right now on motor my man. 450 will be easy IMO on low timing.

Won't know for sure until its running, but Joey, the guy that makes the kit, made 480hp and more torque with GT40 heads/intake and a ford cam.

he had a ported m112 and the timing kinda aggressive. said it was 14-16psi depending.

he blew a headgasket to hell, and said when tearing it down the block was split.

I don't plan on spinning the blower over 10psi (10psi on my heads/cam is probably the same as 14-16psi on gt40 heads now that I think of it...) and I DO NOT plan on running aggressive timing.

I don't see 450-480rwhp a problem.

and again...... im more worried about ET..... then what the dyno says. ya dig?

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
302army187, I know they make good power. That much is without question. I was talking about exactly how much power they are capable of tho. Anyway, that setup looks pretty awesome and it would def be one of a kind. Haha, and that's the only kind of hybrid I would drive!! I'd like to see the finished product...good luck!!
A bench race type dyno program I used said the blower would be out of gas on a 302ci motor around 700 at the tires.

I'm sure this means in a perfect world, most efficent head/cam, and the star's aligning.

Its all speculation, but I don't see why 550rwhp at the tires would be too hard to get, if the guy that made the kit got 485rwhp with GT40 heads.

again, not my goal.

stay tuned, plenty of videos, and pictures will be posted.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I wanna see the pics of the intake adapter and the way they elongated the snout of the blower.

One thing I would do different than the guy above though is remove the a/c and have another idler below the blower to get more belt wrap like the Termi's have done. As already stated though the only weak part I really see (other than your block lol) is the snout and its setup but with the dizzy in the way there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I wanna see the pics of the intake adapter and the way they elongated the snout of the blower.

One thing I would do different than the guy above though is remove the a/c and have another idler below the blower to get more belt wrap like the Termi's have done. As already stated though the only weak part I really see (other than your block lol) is the snout and its setup but with the dizzy in the way there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.
I will take plenty of pictures for sure. Forgot to tell Joey i wanted the adapter for the blower to be 90mm, so I have room to upgrade my throttle body.

Right, and where I DONT have A/C I will be able to fabricate a bracket to go there into the head, I plan on trying to use my OEM idler pulley and spring, so I don't have to spend extra money. The cobra idler pulleys that help belt wrap start around $90, and I don't wanna spend that much on something I will have to make work myself.

i've also though about running a jackshaft in the A/C's location.

How that would work is the current blower pulley would run down to a pulley right next to the cylinder head, that would have a shaft that would link to another pully that is in line with the crank belt.

that way the stress of the belt would be transferred to this shaft, that is secured to the block/head, instead of the snout of the blower.

how the hell you would get that to work with the distributor? IDK.....
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I wouldn't worry about buying the termi's setup but I would get a regular idler pulley and make my own .

You said you have to used your typhoon lower so I am assuming that the adapter bolts to a unmodified lower then...

I have always like this Twin M90's on a 351

Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

jus wait till you hear the wine! :-) my buddy says it sounds like "snookey" for j-shore lol

and are you sure about the head flowing? pretty sure those cobra heads flow a butt load.....
and your cam, what is it made for? if its a big cam for N/a or nitrous it aint going to work out to well.
WARNING with using nitrous with these blowers... It creates a doubler effect, so a 50 shot turns the hp up between 50-100, so if you do spray it start low as you can get outa control fast, not to mention the blower creates so much hp and torque down low, it may be a tad bit hard to hook
Old 12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187

Looks like fun Rob, can't wait to see what numbers it'll produce. What's the ETA of the finished product?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 302army187
I am more attracted to the unique quality a Eaton will provide on the mustang,
You've been brown nosin' some of the ltd crowd on the corral, now they've actually got you thinkin you can make your fox fast with an eaton.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

LMAO...

Quick Reply: RUH ROH