5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

N/a high compression build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
torchred5.0

Default N/a high compression build...

Hey what's up...I am building a stock cube 302 bc I just scored a production block that has been sitting in its original crate since like 1996...

Anyway I am building it to have high compression...here is my parts list:

Eagle crank and rods, main girdle and Windage tray, Keith black dome pistons (kb116std), patriot aluminum heads, comp cams roller rockers, f303 cam, ford racing lifters, weiand stealth intake, Holley 600cfm carb, long tube headers and full h pipe...

My question is on head gaskets...I see that almost all the head gaskets available are 4.100" bore size...there very few that are either 4.060 or 4.030...since I want all the compression I can get I prefer the smallest bore possible...will the smaller bore gasket help or hurt my quench area? I am leaning towards 0.038 compressed thickness rather than the stock 0.041"...

Any thoughts on my build...I had this combo built last year but a faulty valvespring on some junk gt40 heads caused me to drop a valve and destroy one of the pistons, which I got a new one...

Anyone ever use the dome pistons?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Wish I could be more definitive with this engine.. but, ideally you want the H/G to be the same diameter as the bore. Not so much because of compression but because of trying to keep heat dissipation as uniform as possible.

When I build my engine I'm thinking I'd like to go 11:1 but I've not researched it for a 302. Other than backing the timing down I'm not too sure what other issues I'll face.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
torchred5.0

Most people use factory style flat tops and just use cylinder head cc to get the desired compression ratio...I already have the dome pistons so I'm going to run them...all stock style head gaskets are 4.100", does anyone know of a good mls gasket with a decent compressed thickness?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by torchred5.0
Hey what's up...I am building a stock cube 302 bc I just scored a production block that has been sitting in its original crate since like 1996...

Anyway I am building it to have high compression...here is my parts list:

Eagle crank and rods, main girdle and Windage tray, Keith black dome pistons (kb116std), patriot aluminum heads, comp cams roller rockers, f303 cam, ford racing lifters, weiand stealth intake, Holley 600cfm carb, long tube headers and full h pipe...

My question is on head gaskets...I see that almost all the head gaskets available are 4.100" bore size...there very few that are either 4.060 or 4.030...since I want all the compression I can get I prefer the smallest bore possible...will the smaller bore gasket help or hurt my quench area? I am leaning towards 0.038 compressed thickness rather than the stock 0.041"...

Any thoughts on my build...I had this combo built last year but a faulty valvespring on some junk gt40 heads caused me to drop a valve and destroy one of the pistons, which I got a new one...

Anyone ever use the dome pistons?
i've used them and still have the short block, it needs the crank fixed / reground, I used them with afr 185's and a xe 282 cam and rpm air gap intake with holley 650 dp, car ran 12.20's @112, you are splitting hairs with the head gasket thickness.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
torchred5.0

Ok that's what I wanted to hear...what kind of Trans and rear gear in that car running 12.2
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
torchred5.0

Bump for anyone else...I want some more opinions from you experienced guys...
Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Ok that's what I wanted to hear...what kind of Trans and rear gear in that car running 12.2
it was a stock t-5 and a 3.73 gear at the time, I sprayed it with a 100 shot and it went 11.50's but that's when it lost oil pressure....the kb 116 is a heavy piston = lot of mass , I ran pump gas with the 58cc head putting compression at 11 to 1 , however cam choice plays a huge roll in whether or not you get cylinder pressure bleeding off, hence lowering what you truly have, and the xe282 was not the best choice , but it's what I had.........nor will the f-cam optimize the combos potential.......also there is a lot of power to be made in ring choice/ seal.....choosing any old ring can make or break it as well as machine work to the cylinders...meaning hone job, not all machine work is created equal, choose your machinist wisely.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM
torchred5.0

I will be using a very light flex hone maybe bc my block still has the factOry hone on the standard cylinders....

What cam do you think would be best? Or at least in the ballpark, I have been looking for used cams on eBay and on here..
Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I will be using a very light flex hone maybe bc my block still has the factOry hone on the standard cylinders....

What cam do you think would be best? Or at least in the ballpark, I have been looking for used cams on eBay and on here..
I run customs now....I let ed at www.flowtechinduction.com work his magic. Never once have they disappointed and the lobes and placement are spot on..........trust me been there done that.....ever try and degree a 169.00 cam and get the valve events to match on the intake and exhaust.....did a few this past summer....was laughable from one lobe to the next.....just did a custom one from ED last week, all events spot on!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'd sure get something better tha Patriot heads and that Wieand intake/carb stuff.
If you are going racing you need to use racing grade equipment, not street stuff........
Same with that Ford letter cam, real cool 20 years ago but won't cut the mustard today.

Quick Reply: N/a high compression build...