5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

A Eulogy for the first love of my life

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default A Eulogy for the first love of my life

I'd like to take a few moments for the death of my 1987 mustang and just go through a timeline of it's life. From when I first got it at 14 to when I lost it at 21(yesterday night). Mods if this isn't the place for this, please feel free to move it. I just thought I'd share with fellow fox body people. Anyway, here we go.

It all started in 2005. I was already talking about a car since my sister had gotten a brand new Expedition. Seeing that date coming up, my parents decided to search with me. Now mind you, they didn't do this together. My parents were always about one-up'ing each other. So they put their prospective offers on the table. My mother offered a red automatic 2005 convertible since she was doing well in her medical career and didn't want to be out done. MY dad sheepishly offered his best friends 87 mustang that had been in a barn. While for any kid this would be an easy choice, I decided to give my dad the benefit of the doubt and at least look at it.

The car was......well, a mess. Nothing really too great about it. I left that day disappointed and even more disappointed that it didn't run. So on arrival at home, I told my mother she won and we were to go tomorrow to pick up the 05 until I got a call. It was my dad's best friend and he started the car...from then I fell in love. We were back later that week to tow it home. No one knows why I turned down an 05 and neither do I. But there was something about the roar of that 5.0 that bit me, and continued to bite everytime I started it for the next 7 years.

Right off the trailer

Later that month the girlfriend came over and helped me wash her. At 14, she couldn't understand either but she supported me anyways.

Fast forward to moving to arizona and I'm now 16. I have been driving the car to school stripped down and primered with the same hole in the hood. People hated the car but I loved it but there was still work to be done. For christmas we get it painted by a little mexican shop for 1300. The guy knew it was my pride and joy and made sure to do an amazing job. I can't thank him enough.

Night we went to pick it up.

Then a few months later I give it it's first paint correction/wax/sealant wash.

That summer, I got rims to go with the paint. They were GT500 replicas, with color matched barrels and spokes. I was always told at car shows that my car was one of few to pull it off.

From here, I drove it. Had my problems. Complained in here but I could never let it go. And now that it's gone, I feel horrible. But anyways, enough for the stories. I'm sure you guys have scrolled down by now to see the carnage.

The story on this is that I was heading from a great night with a beautiful girl. We went to a concert, (Joe and NEXT) and then went to a club on mill ave in tempe. The night was perfect. We had great chemistry and everything worked out. Funny thing is, when I dropped her off she told me "Drive safe, I have fallen for that car as hard as you have. Keep it". Little did I know, driving safely wouldn't cut it this night.

It's 3AM in the morning and I'm doing the long trek home. She lives in the middle of no where on Elsworth road past Gilbert while I live in Waddell AZ near LA. I'm cruising along at 65mph, very light traffic. As I come up to the tunnel at 7th ave and I-10, I move to the fast lane to pass one of those trucks with the beg LED pointer signs used for construction. IDK whether he saw me or not but he moved into my lane just as I was about to pass him. I sweved left to avoid him and hit a cone which got caught under my tire and sent me flying across the I-10, rear end first until I hit the wall of the tunnel where I was almost t-boned by a semi. Luckily he was able to stop and helped me out of the vehicle. I was unhurt save for a very bad temper and bleeding hand which I bandaged quickly. The guy in the construction truck stopped but way ahead of me and he never came to talk to me or anything. I wasn't even allowed to speak to him.

DPS came and I had to do the whole sobriety testing thing because "I was coming from ASU." Great stereotype, no? After passing that, I was promptly told that I was doing 65 in a construction zone with a speed limit of 45mph. I later checked this once my ride came and no such signs were there but it could be argued that the truck picked them up since it is his job.

To end the story, I was hit with a failure to control vehicle citation, the guy walked off scott free to continue with his life and I got to say not one word to him, my full coverage policy didn't start until March 1st so I still had liability on the car meaning I don't get anything save for my premiums not rising, and I get to pay to get my heap of metal out of the impound lot. It was indeed a crappy way to end a great night. Here's the pix from the impound yard.

And sorry if this is long winded. I have been drinking a bit. Hell have been since I got home. To many that was just a car but to me, it was like a family member and even more it was my identity. People saw that car and knew it was me roaming around. I'll miss the endless compliments and kids wanting to get pictures taken in it. But all in all, there is a silver lining. I have found it's replacement quite quickly.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2840418030.html
Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

That sux a big fat one.

The one in the ad looks like the paint is coming off the roof.

Oh yeah, I wish I could find someone to paint a car for 13 and it last for 6 years and still look like that.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

bummer, but I must ask, in the before pics...what on earth set up was sticking out of the hood???
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

@TrimDrip: You ain't lying. The guy got deported sadly or I'd recommend him highly. He did a damn great job on the car. Most people at car shows were surprised, very surprised I only paid that much. Funny what a good buff, and wet sand can do to even the most cheap paint jobs. And yes, the paint is peeling. In AZ, acid rain is a serious problem and if wax isn't used periodically, clear coat will deteriorate very quickly. It's ok to me though. I plan on stripping the car and painting it satin black with a red stripe much like my old 5.0.

@mjr46: It's a F150 5.0 manifold. The guy thought it'd give it more torque. Which, in honesty, it did. Would smoke the tires up to third. But the car idled and smelled the crap due to it running rich ALL THE TIME.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Was a real nice car...sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean about falling in love with it, I have had my 91 ranger since I was 16, while it may not be where I thought it would be by now, its still my first and is not going anywhere. Hell old friends when they see I still have it usually enjoy the fact that I do. There are a few cars of mine not going anywhere, the ranger, my 90 celica gt, and my 86 stang gt. I have a crx as well that I doubt I would rid of, just going to be quite a project. I would cry like a smacked baby if one of them ended up as yours did. The car you're looking to get looks sweet though, hopefully not a hard fix
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol...the ole f-150 manifold mod to sd cars...back before there were tons of intake options.....
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Oh how i know the feeling. Sucks to hear that man but at least you're ok.

I still have mine, but its just a shell.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
Was a real nice car...sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean about falling in love with it, I have had my 91 ranger since I was 16, while it may not be where I thought it would be by now, its still my first and is not going anywhere. Hell old friends when they see I still have it usually enjoy the fact that I do. There are a few cars of mine not going anywhere, the ranger, my 90 celica gt, and my 86 stang gt. I have a crx as well that I doubt I would rid of, just going to be quite a project. I would cry like a smacked baby if one of them ended up as yours did. The car you're looking to get looks sweet though, hopefully not a hard fix
Oh you don't even know. I bawled like a little girl. The DPS officers were taken aback. Most of my friends said the death of this car was like the death of a part of me and they're right. This car was pretty much my identity through high school and college. People saw it and knew I was rollin' in. I was always known as "That guy with the sweet mustang". Most people only knew me by that sadly but that was always ok.

Hopefully with this silver one, I can reclaim that. Now I'm sad to say that my friend Kenny is the only one to still have his original car from HS. He's scared ****less so he doesn't drive it anymore. Out of our group, I'd be the fifth one to total his car. Someones after us.

@mjr46: Are you telling me this is common? Lol

@Hollister: I thought you were finishing it up?!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Ok, car got wrecked.
Now is the time to start carefully planning/building the next one.
My fear is that even out here in Arizona you will have to pay dearly for a real good FOX body.......
Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I still have mine and bought a lot of things for it but, I still have a lot to buy to get it where I want. That and I have been unemployed for awhile due to medical complications. I'll be going to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale in March actually haha. It's just on the back burner for now. Sucks to see that your car isn't repairable. You certainly turned it around. Good luck on the next project whatever it ends up being, judging by the transformation on this car, it will turn out sweet.

Quick Reply: A Eulogy for the first love of my life