5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

my budget build for 2013 gathering up the pieces !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Justin the upper intake of an original cobra port opening is 70mm from factory so the TB will match it. It's those ford racing cobra intakes from china that are only 65mm port opening.. I will keep you guys posted with my build/pictures...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Little update I picked up my Accufab 70mm throttle body,Walbro 255 fuel pump,found a great deal on a like new aluminum drive shaft on the corral for $130 shipped to my door and I just ordered new Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors from american muscle.com.I will be posting some pics here when I install the connectors in the next two weeks or so !
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Those connectors are fun to install Hope you have a welder and a way of getting the car in the air while keeping the suspension loaded. Took me a day to fit/weld/paint mine. MM full lengths.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Those connectors are fun to install Hope you have a welder and a way of getting the car in the air while keeping the suspension loaded. Took me a day to fit/weld/paint mine. MM full lengths.
Oh ya we got some special ramps to drive the car up on and weld them in !
Old 03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

If you have the engine out, I really would put some thought into a different cam. At least a good alphabet cam. Maybe port match the exhaust. Thats just me. Otherwise, sounds good to me!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by rwdfan
I really would put some thought into a different cam. At least a good alphabet cam.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by mjr46
Lol..........

Opening up the exhaust side does help for those low lift numbers. A stock cam works just fine but of course there are some decent OTS options.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Ok, the ford alphabet cams arent the best, but if hes going for a budget... I was also meaning a used alphabet cam, they can be had for cheap. Most people here in Commiefornia can only use alphabet cams for the most part due to smog restraints. Personally, I would get a custom ground cam if I could. But money is an option and for smog concerns, Ill just stick with an E303 cam. On the other side, I cant personally speak for them, but Ive heard a few people have liked the Summit brand cams. Plus, they are only 60$... I saw the guys on Powerblock using it in their four eyes. Anyone want to chime in on those?

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-26-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by rwdfan
Ok, the ford alphabet cams arent the best, but if hes going for a budget... I was also meaning a used alphabet cam, they can be had for cheap. Most people here in Commiefornia can only use alphabet cams for the most part due to smog restraints. Personally, I would get a custom ground cam if I could. But money is an option and for smog concerns, Ill just stick with an E303 cam. On the other side, I cant personally speak for them, but Ive heard a few people have liked the Summit brand cams. Plus, they are only 60$... I saw the guys on Powerblock using it in their four eyes. Anyone want to chime in on those?

They used it because Summit is a sponsor......they get paid to talk highly about them. I would never use a summit cam in something I was actually gonna drive and be hard on. I don't like their power bands. There are cheap roller cams and there are cheap flat tappet cams that work well that are name brand.....

Lets put it this way, I just purchased a B cam for $40 a couple weeks ago...never been ran but it was installed in an engine and it sat so some of the lobes are pitted from rust... doesn't affect performance but it sounds like something is rubbing against something lol. I will deal with the noise of a decent cam before I would buy summit brand anything....plus this engine only has to last me through this summer anywho...gonna be building a 351w to put in it for next year
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

I dont see why that setup wouldn't hit 250whp op. I also suggest some sort of a cam as well. the rockers will help but you'll be left wanting more. I'm sure you can find a good ots used cam for around $100, and i'm not talking the letter cams lol. Thats the one thing I hate about moving to the 4.6, heads and cams are $$$$$$$$$$

Quick Reply: my budget build for 2013 gathering up the pieces !