5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

which throttle body and intake spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Talking which throttle body and intake spacer?

Hey guys,

Im planning on putting on a throttle body and intake spacer combo on my mustang, which already has a bbk CAI on it. Just wondering which TB and spacer you guys would recommend? And please dont start by telling me I should get gears instead of a throttle body lol, I would get gears but i wouldn't be able to install them myself, unlike the throttle body and spacer.

Its a 1995 5.0 btw
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

all else stock dont go over a 65mm! the summit brand is cheap and quality made i used one on my 347! but you also need a larger dia MAF without that the TB is just a waste until that part is upgraded!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
all else stock dont go over a 65mm! the summit brand is cheap and quality made i used one on my 347! but you also need a larger dia MAF without that the TB is just a waste until that part is upgraded!
I have a pypes off road x pipe on it, stock headers, but yes other than that and the CAI its stock, does that make a difference?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well the X pipe is snuffed out by the stock headers, and no those few items wont make any difference in the tb size. the thing on uping the tb is induction piping and then intake and heads then exaust!

Tape a coffee straw to a drinking straw and then back to a coffee straw and check the end when you blow on it then reverse it and check it! then you will begin to understand about airflow! then take a drinking straw to a bigger size straw etc that is how your upgrades work!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Well the X pipe is snuffed out by the stock headers, and no those few items wont make any difference in the tb size. the thing on uping the tb is induction piping and then intake and heads then exaust!

Tape a coffee straw to a drinking straw and then back to a coffee straw and check the end when you blow on it then reverse it and check it! then you will begin to understand about airflow! then take a drinking straw to a bigger size straw etc that is how your upgrades work!
why were you saying i shouldnt' go over a 65mm TB?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

When you oversize something in an airstream it causes a point at which the airspeed slows down causing a hesitation, you ever seen a 4.6 mustang with an 80mmtb and 4in pvc for an induction system when you rip the throttle you have a slight sec for the engine to react and thats why!

If your airstream dosent complement each other then you have air moving at different rates of speed in different sections of the path it can cause a drivability issue and also power loss!

A given displacement can only use so much air the excess is just wasted! you have to supply it accordingly!

Somewhere on here i posted the cfm flow charts from BBK on the different sizes! i dont remember where!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

When you oversize something in an airstream it causes a point at which the airspeed slows down causing a hesitation, you ever seen a 4.6 mustang with an 80mmtb and 4in pvc for an induction system when you rip the throttle you have a slight sec for the engine to react and thats why!

If your airstream dosent complement each other then you have air moving at different rates of speed in different sections of the path it can cause a drivability issue and also power loss!

A given displacement can only use so much air the excess is just wasted! you have to supply it accordingly!

Somewhere on here i posted the cfm flow charts from BBK on the different sizes! i dont remember where!
that does seem like very plausible reasoning, thanks alot!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
piledriver
Banned

Not if you have a blower!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

When you oversize something in an airstream it causes a point at which the airspeed slows down causing a hesitation,
FWIW, the same principles apply to the exhaust as well.

I've also heard (and read) that throttle body spacers don't work.