5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Water in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Water in headlights

I have a new set of crystal clear headlights which I sealed very well with silicone around the edges prior to installation on the car. After about 2 weeks on the car I found I had a ton of water buildup inside. I mean it was actually puddling in the bottom of the light.

I sealed these lights all the way around. I have no idea how water is even getting inside. What would you do about this problem? Should I drill a really small hole in the bottom to let the water drain out when it starts to build up?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

iv heard off some people drilling a small hole in the bottom on the backside of the lights! I wouldnt do it tho!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

thats funny and what often happens to people that seal their own lights you sealed them up in a moist environment so all you did was seal the moisture inside of them. Most lights actually have a hole in them so that they can let moisure evaporate off as condensation is just bound to happen from time to time going from a cold car wash to a hot day for example. If you do seal your lights up I would recomend laying them out in the sun for a while to let the heat developed help dry them out and seal them while still in the sun. But honestly lights are meant to breath a little to prevent this puddling from happening.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
thats funny and what often happens to people that seal their own lights you sealed them up in a moist environment so all you did was seal the moisture inside of them. Most lights actually have a hole in them so that they can let moisure evaporate off as condensation is just bound to happen from time to time going from a cold car wash to a hot day for example. If you do seal your lights up I would recomend laying them out in the sun for a while to let the heat developed help dry them out and seal them while still in the sun. But honestly lights are meant to breath a little to prevent this puddling from happening.
I got these lights from late model resto. It was recommended they be sealed again just to make sure no water got inside, so I did that. These lights do not have any drain hole or spot to evaporate.

I can understand the condenation building up, but this isn't just a little bit. When I took the passenger side light out I dumped probably 3 ounces of water out of it. That is a lot of water for a light that should be completely sealed. I just can't figure out how it is taking in the water.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

I sell aftermarket lights, if you have water in them, return them, they are defective. Don't stress on it, just return them. Hopefully you have the old lights to get you through the down time. Best of luck.