5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

400-450 RWHP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

I've never built a fox with over 400 HP Bob so I was asking around to make 100% sure that I was not going to get got when I went to pay the shop for the work that was done. It was recommended that I upgraded the T5 and rear end...but of course they would recommend that that! They are trying to make money. Trust me, I'm not basing my purchases on what you all say on the forum, I just like to have a little reassurance before I drop $7k-$10k. I really do appreciate the input though! I've discussed my plans for the car and my budget with numerous reputable shops and I think I've got a pretty good idea on what route I'm going to go. I should be receiving a few price quotes and parts lists next week. I’m pretty stoked!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

lovemygt, All of these guys are right on with, yes, horse power is expensive. And if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. I do not see where you are from, but the NMRA is here this weekend at Commerce, GA, Atlanta Dragway, I have been going to these and what used to be Fun Ford Weekend for a long while. Most of these guys and gals will take the time after the race to talk with you and answer your questions and even show you. JUST, DO NOT BLOW SMOKE UP THEIR ***. We are very proud of our equipment and are out to have fun.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lovemygt
I've never built a fox with over 400 HP Bob so I was asking around to make 100% sure that I was not going to get got when I went to pay the shop for the work that was done. It was recommended that I upgraded the T5 and rear end...but of course they would recommend that that! They are trying to make money. Trust me, I'm not basing my purchases on what you all say on the forum, I just like to have a little reassurance before I drop $7k-$10k. I really do appreciate the input though! I've discussed my plans for the car and my budget with numerous reputable shops and I think I've got a pretty good idea on what route I'm going to go. I should be receiving a few price quotes and parts lists next week. I’m pretty stoked!
Let me know if I can help!

Originally Posted by MADMAC
lovemygt, All of these guys are right on with, yes, horse power is expensive. And if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. I do not see where you are from, but the NMRA is here this weekend at Commerce, GA, Atlanta Dragway, I have been going to these and what used to be Fun Ford Weekend for a long while. Most of these guys and gals will take the time after the race to talk with you and answer your questions and even show you. JUST, DO NOT BLOW SMOKE UP THEIR ***. We are very proud of our equipment and are out to have fun.
Our race trailer is there. Stop by and see us!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

What I think you should do is build the car from the rear bumper forward, do the rear axle, fuel sytem and then the trans etc.
Thats the easy way to do it up...
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 AM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I have not checked my thread for a while. I'm from up near Chicago. Its called the Quad Cities. Its about 2 1/2 hours west.

I had several set backs with the GT that I bought and decided to cut my losses on that car and find something more suitable. The car was all full of bondo and the wiring was a NIGHTMARE! I sold the car to my younger brother and he is going to turn it into a weekend drag car for him and his son. The will have a blast with it so IMO it was still money well spent.

TINMAN! I love the idea of starting at the rear bumper first!