5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

400-450 RWHP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

Default 400-450 RWHP?

I just picked up a 1988 GT project yesterday and I want to get it into the shop as soon as possible for the engine build. I've rebuilt them myself but only to stock specs so I'm going to let a professional handle it this time. I'm looking to make 400-450 RWHP. The shop tech that I talked to suggested a stroker with a supercharger. I'd LIKE to do it with no supercharger but I want to be able to drive the car and have it be reliable. Is that realistic?

Also, is the stock 5 speed okay for that kind of power or will that need to be worked over too? How about the rear end?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Pretty sure if you plan on going 400-450 rwhp in a fox body N/A it's gonna cost you a hunk of change. Any pics??
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

That's EXACTLY what the shop told me. After a little research and talking to the guys that do this kind of thing for a living I think the supercharger is the way to go. AND...385-400 RWHP might be more realistic. Obviously you can get 450+ out of it but putting it to good use is hard to do with such a light weight car. It's going to be a weekend toy car and I want to be able to drive the damn thing.

These are very crappy pictures but this is the car I ended up getting. I picked it up for $1700 due to a head blown gasket. Owner was going to try to sell it as a good running engine but had a change of heart. I have not actually seen the car yet. I'm stationed in England right now so my brother went and checked it out for me. I've always done my projects with the intent on selling them when they are finished but I'm going to keep this one. In 18 months it should be better than when it rolled off the lot!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/2940959001.html

Any suggestions on H/C/I set-ups? Superchargers? Anything that could get me in the ball park of 385-400 RWHP.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

A reliable and streetable 400-450rwhp N/A stroker car is doable. It is very expensive though. I communicated a lot with Jim at Ford Storkers when building my engine. We put together an engine that should make 510ish HP at the flywheel and 470ish at the wheels for me (And for the nay sayers and A-holes, those were Jims estimates, not mine). I've got quite a few dollars in my engine build, but for the reliability and longevity that I'm expecting to get out of this engine, it is worth the extra cash.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
tomaschurizoe

If you plan on making this car a keeper then spend dollar for dollar on the chassis- before drooling at dyno number$. 450 n/a will shred 2nd gear (-$600) first time it leaves the garage. And if it doesnt, then your torque boxes are probly about 3 spot welds away from being classified an "Independent Rear Suspension" (-$1000) Do it right and learn from the hard way$ of others.
*Subframe connectors add horse power "to your wheels" without even opening the hood
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Those numbers can be had but it's going to cost you.
I don't feel that the stock 5 speed will live 5 minutes when used behind a 408/427 engine so you'll need to sepend money on that.
The stock 8,8" rearend will need some upgrades but it'll work ok. Don't let them sell you a 9", thats overkill.
You'll need 510-525 flywheel HP to see 450 RWHP........
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the pointers guys! Im going to slow down a little bit and get everything im going to need for the tranny and rear end and just have it all done at once. I was just going to have the engine built first because I know for a FACT that it wont blow the tranny or rear because......it will be sitting in a garage. haha But I was offered some discounts for a complete drive train build so I'm going to save for a few more months and do it that way.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lovemygt
I just picked up a 1988 GT project yesterday and I want to get it into the shop as soon as possible for the engine build. I've rebuilt them myself but only to stock specs so I'm going to let a professional handle it this time. I'm looking to make 400-450 RWHP. The shop tech that I talked to suggested a stroker with a supercharger. I'd LIKE to do it with no supercharger but I want to be able to drive the car and have it be reliable. Is that realistic?

Also, is the stock 5 speed okay for that kind of power or will that need to be worked over too? How about the rear end?

Thanks!
The FRPP 363Z stroker will make that kinda hp N/A with a warranty. Add a ProCharger to that and HANG ON!!

The stock T-5 will live for a while if you don't miss any gears trying to powershift.

Long term though, I'd upgrade the tranny and upgrade the rear end to a 31-spline setup.

Just remember that with all this power, you'll need a good suspension system (UPR Products) and sticky tires to make it hook.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Like everyone else already said, gonna be expensive NA.. really FI is pretty streetable. I've had a turbo fox body that I drove around a few times a week to work and such and never had a problem, and that will get you over the 400whp mark pretty easily. The T-5 will not hold, get a TKO if you want to shift..
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well....

no...with no power adder a 500 hp 302 is not really feasible

and no again, a t5 rated for 265 ft lbs probably wont hold up to 600 ft lb's of tq

do you have any REAL questions ???? you DO know a 10 second car doesnt come cheap right ??? sorry if i come off crass

Quick Reply: 400-450 RWHP?