5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

a couple of torque box reinforcement questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Default a couple of torque box reinforcement questions

First off, I know I'll have reps saying their product is best, but I want opinions on what people prefer. Been looking at the UPR ones but want to make sure I make a good decision.

Also, what's the best way to install? I know welding is for most things and know these can be welded, but seems bolting would work perfectly fine with the reinforcement plate. I assume you wouldn't continue to use the top plate once you weld them in but I may be wrong, have yet to find a weld in write up. So what are thoughts on this?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You could weld around the torque boxes that are in there from the factory. A perimiter weld would be much stronger than the couple spot welds that hold them on. Just make sure to pull up the carpet and don't have the setting too high on the welder so you don't burn through the floor pan.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

anyone have a pic of thiers welded up?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

No pic but that's what I did to mine. I don't plan on keeping the upper control arms for very long.

Just weld the torque box to the floor/frame rail depending on which box you are welding. It is a sheet metal torque box spot welded to the floor, its obvious where the welds would go.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I have just seen some reinforcement kits state they have the option to be welded in, that's why I was curious. The welding as you said would probably be a good idea, but I do want a reinforcement kit just for added assurance, I know me doing autocross isn't good for my torque boxes
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
First off, I know I'll have reps saying their product is best, but I want opinions on what people prefer. Been looking at the UPR ones but want to make sure I make a good decision.

Also, what's the best way to install? I know welding is for most things and know these can be welded, but seems bolting would work perfectly fine with the reinforcement plate. I assume you wouldn't continue to use the top plate once you weld them in but I may be wrong, have yet to find a weld in write up. So what are thoughts on this?
It's like this, the more work you do to them, the stronger they'll be. You'll gain some durability just from seam welding the stock torque boxes. You'll gain even more durability from bolting in a set of torque box reinforcements. Lastly, you'll gain the most durability from welding in the torque box reinforcement.

I guess what I'm saying is that every little bit helps, but if you want to get serious about reinforcing your torque boxes, seam weld them, bolt in the reinforcement kit, and weld them in. Problem solved.

Now the vendor talk:

Our heavy duty upper and lower kit is only $81 with the mf.com discount:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-h...e-box-kit.html
Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

My brother paid a guy he knew at a muffler shop to weld his up on his '03. Still hasnt broke them yet. Think he paid the guy $50.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I understand that, I guess what I'm really asking is are the top plates necessary if the reinforcements are welded in? And no one really has a preference?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

No other info huh?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Top plates as in the ones inside the car or as in upper control arms.

If ones in the car they will just help to further strengthen everything. As for the ones for the uppers yes those are necessary. The uppers are the ones that break most often.

Quick Reply: a couple of torque box reinforcement questions