5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1989 5.0L GT Resto

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Ryan Svetz

Default 1989 5.0L GT Resto

So, I've got an '89 GT that I've owned for 6 years now...

I wanted to start compiling some suggestions on how to go about a resto job. Motors got 110K miles on it. It runs strong still. Little things here and there are failing now and then, but nothing serious.

I think I'll want to rebuild the motor and mod from there. Not trying to build a tack car or anything... More or less just a weekend driver/ downtown car show car. Something that will look showroom floor stock, but throw you back in the seat when you wrench on it.

I'm hoping to start tearing it down in another year or so, but I'm just shopping for others' suggestions and opinions.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ryan Svetz
So, I've got an '89 GT that I've owned for 6 years now...

I wanted to start compiling some suggestions on how to go about a resto job. Motors got 110K miles on it. It runs strong still. Little things here and there are failing now and then, but nothing serious.

I think I'll want to rebuild the motor and mod from there. Not trying to build a tack car or anything... More or less just a weekend driver/ downtown car show car. Something that will look showroom floor stock, but throw you back in the seat when you wrench on it.

I'm hoping to start tearing it down in another year or so, but I'm just shopping for others' suggestions and opinions.

My suggestion is to just upgrade parts as they wear out. It's a 23 year old car. Engine wears out- buy a crate motor. Brakes wear out- maybe install 5-lug cobra brakes. Suspension wears out- install UPR Products suspension. And so on. You get the idea. Most people can only afford to add one or two parts at a time. So it makes sense to tackle the parts the car NEEDS first.

That's my two cents.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

^^^I see what you did thar'.;D
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Ryan Svetz

Anyone have any familiarity with the Edelbrock power package top end kit for the short block 302's? A buddy of mine told me to look into that, instead of boring out a stroker from the stock block. Will that kit and maybe a turbo, headers/ exhaust and a cold air kit be something worthwhile to try?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Ryan Svetz

Also, random tech question:

I changed out the fuel pump a couple months ago (had a problem where the car would randomly die on me on the freeway after going from open highway to stop and go traffic; the pump swap seemed to have fixed that problem), but recently my fuel gauge in the cluster won't register the level properly. When I turn the car on, the gauge pegs out way above full, then, as I drive, will come back down to register the level. It's been doing this pretty regularly every time I start the car.

Any ideas on what the heck is wrong with that? Is there a fuel sender that might be bad in the tank, or a bad connection to the gauge on the cluster?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Fuel sending unit maybe
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ryan Svetz
Anyone have any familiarity with the Edelbrock power package top end kit for the short block 302's? A buddy of mine told me to look into that, instead of boring out a stroker from the stock block. Will that kit and maybe a turbo, headers/ exhaust and a cold air kit be something worthwhile to try?
Funny you mention that. Back in 2003, I had a '92 notch with a stock block 306", stock cam, unported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, unported Edelbrock Performer intake, and NON-intercooled ATI ProCharger P1SC supercharger. I ran 10.17 @ 132 on UPR Products suspension and 26x10 M/T ET Drags.