5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

leak from t5 breather??

Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

guys...they have them, you all just never notice them , cause they are kinda hidden
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

uhg any more input? ill def post when / if i really figure it out but i mean thx jr for the confirmation : ) gotta have a keen eye for detail to notice the little breathers but yeah there on there! my experiment so far is to just run it til it stops smoking that is if i overfilled it then it should at some time stop right? its been like a week since i haven't filled it with anymore oil an the smoking / leaking has kinda stopped but i still like every now an then have been seeing smoke from out the side where the oil drips onto exhaste from the middle ..im scared that im letting it run too low since i had only filled it thru the top plug until it started dripping out which would tell u u were at the proper level...i could almost garauntee that i could put atleast a 1/2 quart of oil in...uhg my speedo connector is totally tight not leaking an the two prong switch(dunno wat it is) isnt leaking..the only other connector/thing to be pluged is the nuetral safety switch which im damn sure is super tight on there..which leaves me to the breather tube being the last an only thing it could be coming from..its definetly coming from the top (where breather is) so uhg..any one know if the even is a reason y the trans would be spitting fluid out the breather without being overfilled???
Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

!!! Uhg just pulled the trans out like i didnt want to but i had taken it to a transmission shop to get diagnostic cuz im jus tired of trying an dont have the time to figure it out..trans shop charged me 55 bucks to just confirm that it was coming from the breather! i knwe i shouldnt have taken it in uhg im not an idiot but guess i am for taking it in lol ok well i called place i bought it from an they just delivered me a replacement so once i got the leaking trans out i tried looking fr the leak an sure enough i found it. it WASNT repeat was NOT the breather tube but right next to it where the top plate gets bolted on like right next to the breather was missing some gasket maker/sealant!@#!$@#%@$% bastards charge me out the butt for some crappy sealed trans bah!!! i feel like they owe me!@ hah i swear to god if this replacement is leaking too ima pitch a fit! but yeh thought id conclude this thread with what actually was the problem...trans shop thought it was the breather an it just needed a baffell / splash shield or something but t5's are made without those because of how the trans was molded/made/casted it has a spot to block the splash or whatever...but yeah t5s def got breather tubes : ) an so yep that was the problem/answer..! thanks for all the input as always
Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

55 for someone to say "yep, that there's your problem"? I wish I made wages like that.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by marlyman
! it just needed a baffell / splash shield or something but t5's are made without those because of how the trans was molded/made/casted it has a spot to block the splash or whatever...
huh??? I've rebuilt tons of t-5's and never have seen this baffle/ splash shield.......please open my eyes to a part in the t-5 I have never seen............
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

...Wow so im having the same problem with the replacement they had sent me! this time its not as bad of a leak but it is still leaking! when the guys got the original tranny i bought that had been leaking (from where i had thought was the top plate an not the breather) said they pulled the top plate off an didnt see anything out of ordinary, no breaks in silicone or anything really, they did notice some bearing at the tail end of the trans in very bad shape an started talking to me about my yoke and if it was standard length/stock which it is...they want me to drive the 100 miles back out to them an leave my car (my only daily driver) for who knows how long to try an figure it out themselves...anyone heard of the yoke going bad? an if so would that cause trans oil to just like pump out the breather? god wat a freakn hassle im a pro at the removeal / installation now but damn it if its not one thing its another now im honestly thinking i have some other problem thats making these perfectly good new/rebuilt transmissions go bad! uhg any insight would be great i just dont understand..my driveshaft is stock, the yoke on it is stock an seemed fine uhg just dunno wtf anymore
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
huh??? I've rebuilt tons of t-5's and never have seen this baffle/ splash shield.......please open my eyes to a part in the t-5 I have never seen............
haha mj u know more than anyone i've spoken with! so yeah ur right they dont have a baffel or splash shield, i mean i havent tore one oopen yet so only goiong off of what ive had explained and basically t5's from what i hear have 2 dif types of breathers..one thats plastic an has a baffel/splash blocker thing built to the bottom of it or there's the other kind of breather that is like solid or metal or something and with those the trans housing is casted or molded in a way that it wouldnt need a baffel or splash shield type thing..and i have the #2 type so the trans people dunno wtf is going on an y fluid would even be coming out the breather..i got mad at the trans shop for telling me it was coming out the breather since i thought it was actually coming from the top plate but when i called to yell at them he described in detail how they jacked it up an used a flashlight an a extendable mirror to literally see it coming out the breather....ugh this is such a headache ! : ( guess im kidna learning tho but uhg i need a beater/dailly driver so my stang could literally be my project an not a on an off project !