5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

leak from t5 breather??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default leak from t5 breather??

just droppd 800 on rebuilt t5 an after putting in everything is great super smooth only problem is huge leak from wat seems to b the breather tube..i tried researching b4 i made a post but didnt find much..uhm speedo cable an sensors are all tight it was a quality rebuild i guess my question is how to properly fill the t5? does it have to b hot? i only pump the dex/merc fluid til it seeps out of the top filler hole..do i keep overfilling? cuz i keep toping it off after a few drives cuz its obviosly leakin bad an onto exhaust lots of smoke so embarrissing!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

What breather? I have never seen one.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

.....they all should have one..its on the topside inbetween shifter housing n like bellhousing ..its a plastic tube wit a little cap that is a total pain to pop off while under the car...im hoping i just overfilled sumhow...any other options? i replacedthe rearseal everythings tight i dunno wat else but the breather spittn out excess since once hot it expands..?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

To come out of a breather you would have had to fill it up too much. Just set the car on level ground and take out the top plug and let it drain out.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It is said that I have re-built a tremec before and didn't remember a breather . Anyways yeah, you must have it overfilled. Do like mustanggt86 05 said and take the top plug out and let it drain.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

My t5's never had breathers. Dont think I've ever seen a breather on any standard transmissions. There's no pressure internally to require one.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I didn't think so either but giving him benefit of a doubt, its gotta be coming from somewhere
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

??? the breather on my wc t5 is a small like 2 inch plastic tube with a cap that sits loosely on top of the tube.. right by the top plate of transmission that u can unbolt...so i've filld a t5 before an never had this problem..i only unscrew top plug an pump til it starts coming out on its own..but if i did overfill the smoking/leaking should soon stop i would assume..as long as i dont keep refilling...but if thats not y im leaking ima just run the rebuilt trans to the ground since low oil uhgg! ...the rebuilt i just bought an my old broke trans both had same breather tube wit loose cap in same spot..
Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

That sounds like a breather, its just that the t5s do not use a pump (as most any manual tranny), they simply dip the gears in the fluid and trace it through the grooves. I would just remove that plug and see if anything comes out, if not then...I don't know, the only thing I could think of is it splashing the fluid up through there but why I don't know.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I did look at a t-5 rebuild manual that showed a vent tube after posting. So I guess some of the older ones have them. Or maybe it is a t-5 for a different type vehichle...idk

anyways, I would get the right amount in it. If it is blowing out the vent tube, I can't think of anything that would cause it other than being overfilled.....

Quick Reply: leak from t5 breather??