5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Default Good buy?

I might have an opportunity at buying an 88 gt, the body itself looks pretty good except a little rust by the sunroof and the cowl panel which was the cause of the hood flying open, it is bent a little down but it doesn't look too bad. The front bumper and lights are not there, neither is a radiator or the fan, fan clutch and the fan shroud. The owner said it was crashed hence the hood flying open. The motor sounded good he turned it on for a couple of seconds and it had no knocking, it is a manual, it has been converted to mass air, it has a cobra rear bumper, he said it has a new clutch and starter with other stuff as well. It doesn't come with wheels/tires or hood. He is asking $700, so good or no? To me it seems good but the cowl hood panel just makes me think twice about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Fair price for the sum of its parts. I dont know if id try to make it street worthy.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it's worth it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Fair price for the sum of its parts. I dont know if id try to make it street worthy.
Just curious, why dont you think you would try to make it street worthy? The cowl panel is really the only thing that would hold me back, I did want to and I still do want to but if it seems like its going to be a hassle i do have an 87gt that can use the parts.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike T
Yeah, it's worth it.
Seems like it, I might try to get it for less.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRMach1
Just curious, why dont you think you would try to make it street worthy? The cowl panel is really the only thing that would hold me back, I did want to and I still do want to but if it seems like its going to be a hassle i do have an 87gt that can use the parts.
Well if i read what you said corectly its missing the front end due to an accident. Unibody cars and wrecks usally dont work out.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Well if i read what you said corectly its missing the front end due to an accident. Unibody cars and wrecks usally dont work out.
Hmm true, but I looked all over and there is no damage anywhere except on the cowl panel.

This is the front. Maybe I overlooked something.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Are you referring to the plastic part just by the windshield as the 'cowl panel' or what?
I really don't see anything there that can't be repaired with a little time.
Offer the guy $650 to see if he'll bite...........
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
Are you referring to the plastic part just by the windshield as the 'cowl panel' or what?
I really don't see anything there that can't be repaired with a little time.
Offer the guy $650 to see if he'll bite...........
On this picture i was only trying to show the front where it was crashed at, it seems like all it needs is the front bumper and hardware seeing as the bar where the bumper itself or the body wasn't bent. Unfortunately i have no good pictures of the cowl panel, when i say cowl panel im talking about where the cowl grill screws on to that's between the hood and windshield, its bent in from the sides.

This is what im talking about, its not as bad as that one but it is bent a little from both sides.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 AM
adrnlnjnky700
2nd Gear Member

hey thats what mine looks like because i was an idiot and forgot to put my hoodpins back in a week after i got it painted. I talked to the guy that painted my car he said he could pull them out as straight as possible then just use mud for the rest for about 250.00. because i still have my paint. or you can buy the whole cowl part and cut yours out and weld in a new one. probably a little harder. Its been messed up for about a year now, and i just left it

Quick Reply: Good buy?