5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Had to ask about the cabin becuase I stay up in Alpena in the summers.
BTW, thats a smokin good deal on those .45's.......
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

I say A ! burn a chip and factory "new" the stang and keep it you'll regret selling it down the road....
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
Had to ask about the cabin becuase I stay up in Alpena in the summers.
BTW, thats a smokin good deal on those .45's.......
no kidding !!! thats cool

alpena is a neat area, were closer to cadillac, but we've spent a lot of time up in that neck of the woods

and yeah, its about the best bargain ive gotten in a long time. they are good guns
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
but you said "aggressive"..... so its limited to 4.10. 4.30 and 4.56, we'll keep it street car friendly
LOL!!! Ok.. Aggressive vs. stock. I'm debating 3.73 vs. 4.10 with a T5, 8.8 w/31 spline moser axles, some chassis work, sticky street tires (probably not DOT slicks, but something 3 season and soft-ish), and hopefully around 270hp at the wheels with my budget power upgrades... Long term goals include WAY more power, so another gear swap on down the road awhile wouldn't bug me if it suited the next combo better.

She's just a street car (well... garage ornament) for the moment, so that would be my primary use. I'm leaning pretty hard toward 3.73s.

and post op those AK's !!!
Gladly! My M70AB2 with a couple of trinkets and a drum. I call him "Mr. Yuk!"

so post that too....favorite gun
Of those I own, see above... But my G21 is a close second... I have a feeling that after I get my S12 dialed in it will be my front runner, bumping the Glock down to a lowly 3rd.

After we get past the top 3 it just becomes too hard to pick. I don't have an extensive library of choices, but I've bought some nice firearms.

personally i think the M14 is the BEST battle rifle EVER created.
the AK is a close tie, but edged out because the 14 can go out to well over 1000 yards.
And this is where the favorite guns that I DON'T own comes into play... A VEPR in 7.62x54R solves that problem... Assuming it will be within even 3 MOA at 1000 yards (might be asking a lot out of an AK). $89 91/30 in the same caliber can certainly reach out there... Given the shared ammo and minimal cost increase to have both guns, I'd have to put the VEPR over the M14. The M14 is a great rifle, but AKs are... well.. AKs!!!

i carry a .380 now, and swore off that round too.
Uhhh... No.. .380 isn't ok, unless you typoed and meant .308 (you would be my person hero)... 9mm +P is the minimum round that one should consider for person protection. Plus, .380 is a shockingly expensive round! The only time that .380 is viable is if it would be .380 or no gun at all. Given the marginal size difference between something like an LCP and an LC9, no need for the .380 IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails decisions decisions-yugoak_01.jpg   decisions decisions-yugo_bayonet_01.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
LOL!!! Ok.. Aggressive vs. stock. I'm debating 3.73 vs. 4.10 with a T5, 8.8 w/31 spline moser axles, some chassis work, sticky street tires (probably not DOT slicks, but something 3 season and soft-ish), and hopefully around 270hp at the wheels with my budget power upgrades... Long term goals include WAY more power, so another gear swap on down the road awhile wouldn't bug me if it suited the next combo better.
most of these guys know my answer.... 4.10 or leave it stock. the reason is....if you do the 3.73's you'll still want more. theres no magicical diff in traction or fuel economy between the 2, i never get how some guys want to go "fast" but use 3.73, cuz they dont "wanna get only 10 mpg" or "run out of gear and have to shift to 5th" or tach 4000 doing 65

those are ALL MYTHS, quite simply there is a 250 rpm difference in the 2 gearsets, but the fact is simple. a bone stock 5.0 can yank a tire on 4.10, but CANNOT on 3.73.

therefore.....i say, and always will say, based on HAVING multiple combos not JUST one car with 3.55 or 3.73 and thought it was "better than stock" hell....an ethiopian would LOVE a rotten maggot infested big mac....that doesnt mean a fresh filet mignon isnt better......that 4.10 is the best option for a non turbo car

my G21 is a close second... I have a feeling that after I get my S12 dialed in it will be my front runner, bumping the Glock down to a lowly 3rd.
i have a 21SF, i like my 19 better, and i like the 1911 better for shooting fun. for practicalness (yes i made that up i think) i like the 21. its got night sights, and twice the capacity of the 1911

9mm +P is the minimum round that one should consider for person protection. Plus, .380 is a shockingly expensive round! The only time that .380 is viable is if it would be .380 or no gun at all. Given the marginal size difference between something like an LCP and an LC9, no need for the .380 IMHO.
i used to think the same thing, and i agree to an extent. but ive changed my ways. yes .380 is the same price as .45 acp, but i load mine with hornady critcal defense, and/or ranger talon (the new black talons that arent black) im 5'6" and 150, in the summer i wear a wife beater and board shorts pretty exclusively. its the .380 or nothing. i like the LC9, but it is in fact....just a bit big for me to carry. i cant even use my extended in my sig, its the diff of showing and not showing. just from the pinky extension

im not patting myself on my back...but im a pretty good shot. and nobody is gonna get in a firefight when you start popping at them. and .380 isnt bouncing off

but when i can carry bigger....i do
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Humm... 4.10s are cheaper too... 'eh... You've introduced more for my internal debate. Even if fuel economy were a strong factor (it isn't... my 'Stang is a toy.. Bought it that way and plan to keep it that way), I can't see the difference either... Now... Pulling a tire on 200 rwhp, vs. not.. That's something to think about! I'm investing in strong running gear and a solid chassis before chasing big HP, so that idea has a lot of appeal in my mind. The most I would do, beyond my 270hp N/A, is hit it with a 100 shot. I'd like to get that combo into the 12s, reliably, with a heavy car and driver (I'm suspecting 3900lbs as outfitted... I'm a big boy, with a hatch GT loaded to the hilt, and a stereo junkie). I think that is definitely within the realm of possibility. 12.99 is still 12s, damn it!

My end goal is a dart block, built internals, blower (you pick which one, because I can't), T-56, and 10s with a 4000lb car... I've got my work cut out for me and big dreams (hey... If the Shelby GTs can do it, so can I!!!)! Now if only I had big cash!

---

I've never handled a 21SF, so I can't comment directly, but comparing the 19 to a 21 is sort of apples and oranges. 17 vs 21 is the debate, and to me there is no debate. .45acp every time in equal chassis firearms.

I've heard LOTS of guys profess their marksmanship when discussing .380 (no doubt, you're a crack shot and no one to be trifled with). Frankly, I'd rather have the debate about *my* LACK of marksmanship under REAL pressure and my willingness to carry more rounds, in a real caliber. When someone is possibly shooting back at me I don't want to roll the dice on my marksmanship, under pressure, making a hit that will mechanically stop their attack. I don't care if my hip tumor is obvious to all (to me it is when I carry full frames like my Ruger P90 and G21, others say they can't tell) that's even more fine with me. You know I'm armed, you can see its not a sissy piece, so go cause problems somewhere else with someone else. All that said, when shooting at paper or steel I'm as good as most, better than some.... paper and steel don't shoot back though!

.380 is a neat concept, and I wouldn't mind having one, but for me it would be a curiosity or range toy. Honestly, I'd rather carry my target match 22/45 in .22LR than .380... At least with that pistol I know for certain, stressed or not, that I (and the vast majority of qualified shooters) can knock someone's teeth out one at a time if I so desired. On that note, a North American Arms in .22 Magnum is also more appealing to me. I have a buddy that has one. If nothing else, it's the loudest gun I've ever heard!